Topic

HRP (Pyrenees) July 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips HRP (Pyrenees) July 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

(repeat post)

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Chris, I'm actually not carrying a cell phone. I'll have an iPod only. Thanks for the maps. I recognized their fairly good accuracy by comparing them to the Joostens guide. If you would like I can send you the 86 screenshots I made of your map for my iPod. It will be a good complement to the Joostens guide.

I've got your email address and can send you some messages along the way to say where I am, but that will probably be the only way of trying to arrange a meeting. Chances are probably 95% that we'll meet, so I'll see you on the trail!

Chris Upson

@chrisupson

Locale: Scotland

Rick, I agree there's a 95% chance we'll bump into each en route, if we are both on the Joostens route. I will attempt to put a schedule together and post on my HRP blog during the next few days. However my experience from the GR11 was that it was quite tricky to predict how far I'd hike each day. Overall I'm planning to double stage the route, but it will not be exact double staging. It will be a far more flexible approach than that. My main planning will be to figure out the places to re-stock with food, and how much food to carry. I'm assuming that a fair few of meals will need to be purchased from refugios, which could work out quite expensive. On the GR11 last year, I never had any chance of checking email or blogging en route. My days were all too long for that!

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jim and I hiked the HRP last year and posted a pretty thorough trip report that offers one opinion about many of the things that have come up on this thread. In case any of you haven't seen those two posts:

Part 1 HRP Trip Report

Part 2 HRP Trip Report

And about MAPS… Alan Dixon and I have researched using the iPhone/iTouch/iPad as a GPS/map device. There are a few things you all should know. It can be a GREAT solution for the HRP, and I wish I'd had it. (We just used an iPhone for a six week hike in Turkey, so we've had field experience). In advance of publication of the article, here are some tips…

1. Three two apps you should look at: Gaia GPS – Offline Topo Maps; and iPhiGeNie Maps of France. Each of those three apps offer different things, so you probably want to use all three (they are dang cheap). All of them allow you to pre-download all the maps, so you don't need a WIFI or cell connection while on the trail. Gaia gives you OpenCycleMaps, Galileo gives you satellite images (more complicated and less important than the other two apps), and iPhiGeNie gives you government published IGN maps. Fantastic stuff – honestly.

2. Read the "Battery Life" section of my earlier post. I found a few more things that are covered in the not-yet-published article, but this will get you started.

Send me a PM if you have questions about the iThings maps and apps, or about the HRP.

Amy

Chris Upson

@chrisupson

Locale: Scotland

I am back now after hiking the HRP in 24 days, starting on 1st July.
    hrp2011.blogspot.com

It was a tremendous experience with fantastic scenery, and good to bump into Rick DeLong on Day 15 above Salardu, who was hiking in the opposite direction.

In general the weather was OK, but I did need one enforced rest day at Hospital de Benasque due to low cloud and pouring rain all day.

Patrick Moreno

@chaco

Locale: French Alps

Hello all,

Great to have found the site. Will be trekking across the Pyrenees from Hendaye to Banyules this summer, with my Boxer. Does anyone have any info on which parts of the HRP are not accessible to large dogs. Thanks a bunch.

Patrick

Patrick Moreno

@chaco

Locale: French Alps

Hi there,

I read your post from last year. How was it? I'm planning to do the Gr10 this summer with my dog; any advice and info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Konstantin Pilpilidis

@konstantinp

Hi, I am leaving for HRP on the 17th of July. I am planning on trying to complete coast to coast from Hendaye to Banyuls till 30th of August. I was planning on doing it solo due to lack of willing participants. To those having done it is it too risky? Or to those that haven't done it is anyone willing to join me?

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Konstantin,

I'm hoping to do that trek sometime in the next few years, and I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences. If you write a trip report or post photos, please post a link to this thread so that I'll be sure to notice it (I may be out on a multiple-week trip when you post and I could miss it, but I watch this thread).

Have a great trip!

Konstantin Pilpilidis

@konstantinp

I am not quiet sure if I will walk the whole stretch or walk till Salardu and finish the rest next year, since I found a walking companion that is a bit reluctant to go further. I would be very glad though to pass on any photos and information acquired. I appreciate the farewell wishes :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools