Topic

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh Platt
    BPL Member

@easternbox

Locale: Southeast

Going to be making a stop here around May 7-10 and wanted to know if anyone here has had experience backpacking here. Or any trail suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Which part are you interested in? H-T covers a a lot of ground.

Adam McDaniel

@neurons4me

Locale: SF Bay Area

The trailhead at Twin Lakes by Bridgeport is one good place in the forest. from there you can go into Yosemite's nothernmost regions, lakes fairly close in, Matterhorn peak (and the rest of the sawtooths, part of the PCT, etc. I'm planning a trip with my brother this summer and if it lives up to all the hype I may have to put our route on my "visit again sometime" list.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

The Twin Lakes TH out of Bridgeport is a nice area to start a hike out of. The Peeler Lake/Crown Lake loop is a great weekend trip. And the Matterhorn Canyon/Kerrick Canyon Loop is a great 3 – 6 day trip depending on your tempo. It can get pretty 'buggy' early season though, but you won't see many people once you get into Yosemite. May will be too early to hike that this year, unless you were just going to Barney Lake.

Josh Platt
    BPL Member

@easternbox

Locale: Southeast

Well, I guess I am searching for an area in Northern Nevada, but not really limited to that area. I'm driving from Boise to Las Vegas and wanted to squeeze a 2 or 3 day hike in.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will look into those.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Not to be Debby Downer here, but snow should and will be an issue

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Try the eastern Humboldt-Toiyabe area. Wheeler Peak is in the Great Basin Nat'l. Park and Mt. Moriah is just north of it.

Be SURE to visit Mt.Moriah after all danger of avalanche has passed. I saw a huge avaqlanche debris field there about 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools