Topic

San Jacinto

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Locale: SoCal

I'm heading up towards San Jacinto on monday. Going from Hwy 74 north on the PCT, to Cedar Spring. What is the current snow level and current temps? Any other useful info would be appreciated? We will be staying at Cedar Spring and day tripping it out of there for a couple of days.

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

I'll give my stepdad a call tonight, he lives in between Garner Valley and Table Mountain.
    Out of curiosity, are you going to cedar springs as an out and back? If you wanted to go further up the Desert Divide, you could drive Morris Ranch Road up to Trails End, and it is a pretty short hike to get to Cedar Springs. (3 miles, maybe?)

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Thanks. We are going out and back, I am tagging along with some buddies. Their trip, their plans. I am just looking for a little more info for my gear plans. They tend to just wing it, they also have more time in that area. They are also gone on other trips right now, otherwise I would pick their brains.

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

They are getting lows in the high twenties to low thirties at the moment. They had frost on the ground this morning. Highs are in the mid 50's.

Snow isn't much of an issue at the moment. It has pretty much melted off, even as high as Idyllwild.

There is a storm blowing through this weekend, I'd keep an eye on it. It will probably dump some snow, and it looks like temps will drop some.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

You might check the Mt. San Jacinto forum.

HJ

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Huh, nice forum I never new existed. Thanks for the link, Jim. Looks like you're a reg there too, huh?

-Rob V.

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Thanks for the info, we decided to push the trip a week. We have already had some bad weather trips the first part of this year and are getting burned out on being wet and cold. Glad to see the San Jacinto board is open to all again, it was blocked for awhile.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Chad,

I can give you some specific information as of this weekend, but not specifically on Cedar Spring. I did an overnight this weekend in the San Jacinto Wilderness area.

Most peaks in the range have snow on the north facing peaks from around 7,000 feet. Other peaks have snow in the shaded areas from around 7,000 feet. South facing peaks generally have no snow until 9,000 feet. Snow is about 1 foot in lower areas. There is some snow from 8,000 – 8,500 in most areas; around 1 foot. 8,500 and higher has 3 feet or more. Most snow is hard packed ice (unless warmed in the afternoon). Micro spikes or crampons needed in am or pm; snow shoes not required.

Temps vary, check your weather forecast. Early last week highs in the 50's lows to about 30 in upper elevations. This weekend highs around 32 lows in the 20's; with gusts up to 50 mph.

Right now the PCT from Hwy 74 to Cedar Spring should have no (or little) snow. The Cedar Spring trail faces south, so probably no snow except for shaded areas. Cedar Spring itself is very shaded.

Hope this helps.

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Thanks Nick.

That is great info, we decided to push the trip a week due to the recent storm coming through. So, if all is well come next Monday, we will be heading that way. I have been trying to get up there for awhile, but life keeps getting in the way. I am hoping this trip happens sooner or later.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools