Topic

REI 20% coupon coming March 18th…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals REI 20% coupon coming March 18th…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Greg Bohm

@greginmi

Locale: SE Michigan

I was just talking to an REI customer service representative about some gear and they mentioned I should see the 20% coupon in my email inbox on Friday, 3/18.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Why is it that whenever the 20% off coupon comes up I can't remember what I was waiting to get? :) Bah!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

On a normal year, the annual REI dividend checks are mailed out around the end of January. Any idea when those are being mailed out this year? I had a couple of hundred in normal purchases there last year, so my check should not be huge.

–B.G.–

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Not sure when they get the hard copies out, but if you login with your member number on the website you can view your dividend now.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

agreed, what was it I wanted to purchase again?!

and do I buy winter gear for next winter or find something I can use now that the weather is warming up?

decisions…

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bob, the dividend should be out around the 24th of March, give or take a few days.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

I really wanted a new pair of crampons or snowshoes with the $130 dividend I have, but in typical fashion it looks like my wife will get the money since she needs a new pair of trail runners and I may end up with a book or chlorine tablets again haha!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The 24th of March? OK. Thanks.

I will alert the mail room staff.

I wonder why REI was so late this year.

–B.G.–

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

The REI dividend was available online on 3/13/11 (I checked to find $36 credit). I'm waiting for the coupon supposedly coming tomorrow.

Past REI emails announcing the dividend and coupon were dated:
    3/3/06 "MEMB26"
    2/28/07 "PERK4U" (I spent it on 2/26 though)
    2/27/08 "MEMDEAL"
    3/4/09 "MEMSAVE"
    3/26/10 "MEMBER20" (Though it was available online as early as 3/13/10)

Jim

seth t

@diggity

oo

Greg Bohm

@greginmi

Locale: SE Michigan

No email, but I noticed the 20% discount information was on the REI homepage this morning.

Time to shop for some new boots!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I just bought a pair of REI Adventure pants — using up my $18 dividends and the MEM2011 20% discount. CURSE YOU ALL!!!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"Time to shop for some new boots!"

Same here… mine were in pretty rough shape after a few hundred miles of hiking in the last three years, culminating in the 40-mile hike up Kilimanjaro, scree-skating off of the summit, and then the 18-mile hike back to the gate… so I gave them to one of our porters rather than carrying them home, figuring it would be dividend time soon, and I was going to need new boots soon anyway :)

(Hopefully that will be a happy porter… a lot of those guys were wearing shoes (or flip-flops) that were in *much* worse shape than mine.)

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

That was very nice of you to give your boots to one of the Kilimanjaro porters. I'm sure he really appreciated your kindness. And 'thumbs up' for heading to Tanzania to climb Kili…..that's on long climb. The last time I was in Africa I saw a guide with my exact boots on. He said client gave them to him. They were $300 boots and looked brand new.

I just got an email from REI…..$99.00 coming my way. Time for some new crampons.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

It was quite a long climb! One reward was one of the most memorable sunrises I've ever seen, both because it was spectacular (we were really lucky with the weather on this trip!), and because our camp the previous evening was at the foot of the mountain that the sun's rising over in this shot.
    http://whitecranephotography.com/back-in-town/

My only regret is that because I was starting to feel altitude sickness setting in and I was out of water (which probably contributed), I only shot this with my digital camera, not with my film camera.

I also gave my GoLite jacket to the porter who did the summit trip with me; he carried my 4×5 (which I wish I'd been able to shoot that sunrise with!), and he also helped me back down when he realized I was losing it…

Those guys were awesome though… we had an amazing group of guides and porters on that trip!

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Got both coupon and dividend notice today. $254 hmm what to buy?

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Locale: Greater LA area

Houdini's are back in stock. Picked one up after trying to find one for the past 6 months, and having them being sold out everywhere. After coupon and dividend, 20$, can't beat that.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

REI has the new thermarest Neoair Trekkers available now.

New Neoair Pads

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

those pads are OK, but not great. They take up a lot less space, but pricey and somewhat heavy for a pad with R2 rating. My Z-lite is only 14oz, has same rating and only cost me $15 for a long version (brand new). Yes, it takes up more space, but so what – it sits on the outside of the pack.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Yuki,

The difference between your Z-Lite and the Neo Air, size small, is 5 ounces. For me that's a significant weight difference. Ounces saved here and there add up to pounds saved, and ultimately to a much lighter pack.

The Neo Air, size small, weighs only 9oz. small Neo Air

This should not be confused with the Neo Air Trekker, which is a heavier pad, and the size small weighs 16 oz.

If I'm going to be in conditions that require more insulation, I can also carry a Gossamer Gear, Thinlight pad. So I would get some added warmth for the extra 5 ounces.

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

1 oz difference between a small Z-lite (10 oz) and a neo-air small (9 oz). Comparing a Regular to a Small wasn't exactly fair. The solite small is 9 oz as well, with a better R-Value, but is bulkier than both. There are trade offs all around, we all find something we like the best.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Point taken. I wasn't trying to be unfair. It was an honest oversight. I didn't see that Yuri specified pad size. Also, I thought he was comparing to the Neo Air Trekker. I just wanted to stick up for the Neo Air.

Yuri said, "those pads are OK, but not great." I think the Neo Air is a great pad, and I've used one for a lot of trips. One thing I like about it is the incredibly small packed size. I know a lot of folks like to carry their pads outside their packs, so for them size may not be as much of an issue. But I prefer to keep my pad dry, so I carry it inside my pack. I'm still amazed at how little room it takes up.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Ok, here is a replacement for my previous link of the Neoair Trekker. :)

The : Exped Synmat UL 7

I believe this was just released in the states this March (2011) and I was shocked by the price. Perhaps the 20% would help in this purchase?

Hopefully this link makes up for me linking the Neoair Trekker? :)

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

"I really wanted a new pair of crampons or snowshoes with the $130 dividend I have, but in typical fashion it looks like my wife will get the money…"

My deal is what every she buys at REI she has to use hiking.

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

"those pads are OK, but not great. They take up a lot less space, but pricey and somewhat heavy for a pad with R2 rating. My Z-lite is only 14oz, has same rating and only cost me $15 for a long version (brand new). Yes, it takes up more space, but so what – it sits on the outside of the pack."

When talking comfort, there is no comparison of a Z-Lite (not even an inch thick), to a Neoair (2.5 inches)!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools