Topic

Montane Minimus Pertex Shield jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montane Minimus Pertex Shield jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Montane has a new Pertex Shield jacket with some high breathability claims:

Montane Minimus jacket
    Main body – Pertex Shield®
    Breathability at 25,000 MVTR
    20,000mm hydrostatic head
    Weight around 200 grams

What do you think about these claims? I would like to see a BPL test!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

They don't say which version of Shield so it's hard to say. If it's a 2/2.5 layer shell, the claims are way off. If it's the 3 layer version, they might be true.

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

Well the weight has edged up to 227g (Medium) as per their website.

As for the HH/moisture, I e-mailed them directly about this and apparently its just a new version of Pertex DS. Now there are quite a few 2.5 layer fabrics now making these sorts of claims: Membrane strata for instance so no reason at all that Pertex couldn't have sourced something like this.

What might be more interesting is how far we should believe these tests in terms of comparing these 2.5 layer fabrics with 3 layer ones. Maybe not totally trivial – how for instance would Paclite have compared to the other Gore fabrics using this sort of test?

No idea myself.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Not to take the thread off-topic… But something I've heard a lot of "gear experts" and retail clerks say is that the difference between a 2 or 2.5 layer fabric and a 3 layer fabric is that the 2/2.5L fabric with breath better, but be less durable than the 3L fabric. This has never clicked with me, as the best breathability ratings seem to be with the 3L fabrics, even when comparing two fabrics within the same brand. See this as an example.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools