Topic

Wood fire cooking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Wood fire cooking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just recieved my CC Sidewinder W/ Inferno kit today. Played with it indoors but haven't had the time to try it out. I'm amazed at its lightness and high quality.

I plan to take ESBIT tabs & the Gram Cracker for backup & fire starting in wet conditions.

Has anybody here had the opportunity to cook on a CC Tri-Ti or Sidewinder with the Inferno kit?

I plan to have a good stock of firewood ready when I light it. I have used wood years ago and know the drill on good preparation before lighting. Unfortunately here in the west hardwood is very scarce. It makes for long lasting fires and hot coals. (No, I AIN'T carryin' hardwood charcoal!)

Any tips on using the Inferno?

P.S. WOW! just tried it tonight and it's HOT and fast! What a great design.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I find it works best with wood about the diameter of a pencil, in lengths of 3-4 inches.

I took one chunk of hardwood charcoal and used a dremel tool to cut it down to a cube less than one inch on a side, and if I think the wood situation will be marginal, I throw the charcoal into the middle of the wood.

–B.G.–

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Just make sure you place the handle of your pot opposite the feeder hole. For a 6 day trip I took some cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly for fire starters. It's a great set up.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Se my post from earlier this week: "baking cornbread on a woodstove"
    Not a CC Ti-TRi but uses the same fuel and cooking techniques.
    Once you load it you are good for boiling most likely. Lighting from the top makes for a much mellower, slower, and longer burning flame. If you are baking or simmering for long periods you can add a stick or two ever 5 mins after your initial boil. I usually boil up first, then bake when the temp is lower.

fm

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

David, Yeah, good poing about handle placement but I use pot grippers. Still I need to remember not to grip by the feeder/handle cutout.

Bob. OK. I'll reduce the size of the sticks to twig size when possible.

Brent, Top lighting seems more difficult but ff I take the time to build the wood up criss-cross fashion I could put the greased cotton ball about 3/4 of the way up.
    That should help get it going top down.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Eric,
    It looks like the firebox on the Caldera Cone is huge. If you have nice dry wood top lighting is pretty easy. You can stack it mostly vertical, thickest fuel at the bottom to smallest twiggies at the top. I will usually light my tinder and add just a little wood on top after. I havent really looked at the base of the CC closely, but good airflow is critical at the bottom and at the top. Im sure it should work fine.
    Here is a video a little larger stove but using the same concept to boil over 4 cups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-o_-ajzM5E

If you have wet wood, it is very hard to top light. No Big deal. Use really good long burning tinder and light it from the middle or bottom.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools