Topic

caldera + myog stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear caldera + myog stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Has any one found a myog alcohol stove that works with the cakdera cones:….really want something small

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you are good, you can copy the design of the alcohol stove that is furnished with the Caldera products. If you are not good at it, then you could purchase one of those.

–B.G.–

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

With my MYOG Cladera cone I just use a tea light candle for my alcohol stove.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I did research on Whiteblaze a while ago and built a Kitten Stove. Search on WB and you should find photos of the steps to make one. It looks similar (as far as I can tell) to what real Cones come with, and mine works great!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I use either a chimney burner made using a 250ml Red Bull can (see Mini Zen at Zen Stoves), or a trangia-style burner made from the same cans, with a conic inner wall and jets around the inner of the pressed dimple.

Both these burners produce a narrow flame that hits the centre of the pan and spreads out, so little heat is wasted up the side. A simple, open cup made from one one these cans also works pretty well, which is a bit disappointing to find out when you've spent ages carefully drafting burners…

The burner that comes with the Caldera Cone is relatively tall (something like 45mm), whereas mine are 32mm tall, and I design my clones to use a 24mm flame gap between burner and pan. These allow me to boil 500ml of water with 15ml of 95/5 denatured alcohol.

I have PostScript design scripts for the conic burner and clone; PM me with an email address if you'd like copies.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

For 2 years I used a Red Bull Chimney Stove (design from Zenstove site) with my smaller cone clones (design scriptfrom Kevin).

but, this last year I use a Starlyte from Zelph. As well as the non spill advantages, the lower height of the stove means the cone comes out shorter and more packable. e.g. With a low wide pan the rolled cone often fits across the inside of the pan.
    Also, the stand on the Starlyte allows an additional smaller ti mug to also be used with the cone as a windshield (I favour an Evernew 400)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Yes, the StarLyte works well with a clone. The clone does not have to be an exact clone. It need not support your pot. Just make the cone 1/4" larger than the diameter of your pot to leave a 1/8" gap all around the pots circumfrence. Set the pot on the StarLyte or other set up such as the "Kitten" stove designed by skidsteer on whiteblaze or the design by Sgt. Rock the "Ion" stove. Bpth are slow burning stoves and should work well. The cone works well as your windscreen and it will prevent your pot from tipping to the side if you make it the proper diameter as I mentioned. The Kmart grease pot coupled with the StarLyte make an excellent match. As JMole mentioned, use a wide pot and the cone windscreen will fit inside the pot.

View this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?56087-ZMart-Cook-Kit-and-Ramen-Noodles&highlight=zmart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools