Topic

1 oz. grill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1 oz. grill

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    david fausnight

@rckjnky

Does anyone know if there are any health concerns about use titanium as a grill? Does it become more reactive when it is this hot?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

It's not reactive. It's just about the most chemically inert metal you can get.

Terry Boldt

@teedee

That is a good solution also.

One reason I went with the AL/TI grill is volume in the pack. 2 0.5" AL tubes are trival to insert in the pack. Just find a crevice and push. Putting in a square metal rack isn't nearly as easy and would require a lot more rearranging of items to get into the pack.

Weight isn't always my only concern – volume is also.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

great thread :)

as BPL no longer sells the Ti rods I starting looking elsewhere- turns out most Ti bicycle spokes are 14 gauge which is equivalent to 1/16"

you can find them for ~ $2 a spoke w/ asst lengths

I've got a bunch of buddies that are archery hunters- I'm going to see if an aluminum arrow shaft might be a possibility for the frame portion- nesting would be nice, but two small aluminum tubes aren't going to be a problem to pack

I can smell the trout already!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Benjamin,
    AWESOME design! I also have a Jam and a Stowaway so you picture of your pack looks just like mine. I use an Orvis CFO reel though.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

definitely would like to hear any updates with arrow shaft experimentation and the Ti bike spokes. What's the chemical make up of the spokes though? Similar to the cookpots or a different alloy?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I wonder about drilling holes in two AL/Ti trekking poles sections for side tubes. Obviously you'd have to clean off any paint or graphic superfluity before grilling. Most poles are already multi-use, but many shelter set-ups only require one, leaving the other free for…grilling perhaps.

I've also been curious about making + trying out some longer versions (~8" instead of 4") of the ultra-thin 1 or 2g Ti Skewer stakes. You could potentially use these for the cross supports and presumably functional stakes, if a more stout nail-style stake was used to "pre-drill" in harder ground.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not sure the composition- I did order the "raw" ones- they have painted ones which wouldn't be a great choice (the paint might burn quickly off though?)

I thought about stakes as well- I found some 12" ones, but they are quite a bit heavier than the spokes (larger gauge)- of course you could subtract some weight from the ones your already carrying- so that's definitely a viable option

the trekking pole idea has merit as well- carbon fiber wouldn't work so well :) but aluminum or Ti sure would

I was thinking the spokes could also do double duty for a wind screen setup

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Bike spokes are not going to be the same alloy as Ti pots. The pots are CP grades 1 through 4 and the spokes are going to be alloyed with aluminum and vanadium, grades 5+. If you use the Ti spokes, they can become brittle, and possibly break if exposed to direct flames and or hot coals repeatedly. If you cook "over" the coals, and avoid excessive heat, this should not be too much of a problem though.

My grill, 1.5oz, 4"X10", welded CP wire.

Ti-grill

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

what exactly is cp? gauge? source?

nice looking grill :)

the spokes are grade 5 6A1-4V- I think this is the same as the BPL rods- can't find the link for it now

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the aluminum arrow works quite nicely- I cut two 12" pieces and drilled holes for the ti spokes- w/ eight 9.5" spokes and the two arrow pieces it's right at 1.4 oz, the ti spokes are ~ 2.5 grams each, 12" section of aluminum arrow shaft is ~ 9 grams

the aluminum arrow shafts are a thin walled aluminum ~ .020" and ~ .35" in diameter- all eight ti rods fit into one arrow shaft

while I'm satisfied w/ the grill I think I may have stumbled onto something better- I was poking around my local Ace Hardware store and they had 12" sections of aluminum tubing- I bought two 1/4" pieces (also thin walled .014) they weigh 5 grams each. each 1/4" rod easily holds four Ti spokes- this grill would weigh ~ 1.1 oz

what I found is all of their aluminum tubing fits into the next size up- they didn't have any 9/32" tube in, but ordered some more- what I'm thinking is also getting some 5/16" (it's the largest they make in the tin wall). if the eight rods would happen to fit into the 9/32" tube, then I could slide it into the 5/16" one and have everything in a single tube- this would weigh a little more, but by calculations just a tenth or two of an oz

the aluminum tubing is easily sourced- it's found at many hardware stores and made by K&S Engineering- they hardware and hobby stores pre-setup displays w/ different tubing, metal sheeting, etc

it's also readily had online- just google K&S aluminum tubing and you'll come up w/ 100's of hits

also they carry (in the same K&S display) very small aluminum tubing- again in 12" lengths- 1/16"- possibly smaller- cheaper than Ti rod or spokes- and appears to be very light- not sure on strength though- they also sell 1/16" aluminum rod- would the tubing possibly be stronger than the same diameter rod?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Mike. I'm gonna make onefor next yr's trip out West.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

That's awesome! I've gotta make one of these…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

another short update:

I just got a 12" 9/32" aluminum tube, it will hold 7 of the Ti spokes (rather tightly), but not the 8th

they carry 5/16" thin wall (it only comes in 3' sections)- I can either use a 9/32" nested into a 5/16" tube w/ seven spokes OR store the 5/16" tube in the aluminum arrow shaft (11/32") w/ all eight spokes

either way I'll order a section of the 5/16" tube (only $3.50 at ACE)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well finally got everything together :)

the arrow section worked perfectly as the outer piece w/ the 5/16" section

the 5/16" stores all eight ti rods

had to cut the inner (5/16") section a little shorter to make room for the nylon end caps

weighs in at exactly 1.5 oz

assembled w/ remaining arrow (I mistakenly thought that the camo was paint and wanted it removed- turns out it was anodizing which I should have just left as it was a big pita removing it!)

Photobucket

assembled

Photobucket

on the scale

Photobucket

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

So the assumption is that the aluminum will always be on rocks and thus protected from the heat of the fire?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not sure how heat resistant the aluminum would be, I might play w/ the left over aluminum arrow shat and see :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

wanted to report back that mine is working great, four brookies made for a nice change of pace on a recent five day trip

Photobucket

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

SWEET! I missed this first time around but am saving it now.

Thanks!

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

I'm not much into grilling, but just wondering if anyone has used 1/16" braided steel cable for the cross members of the grill. My vision is having the two rods at each end and drilling holes to fit the cables through and tying the ends. Then sandwiching the rods under a couple rocks to keep it put. I would think 1/16" braided cable would be really light and it would allow you to roll the grill up for easy stow. Any thoughts?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

it might work, the worry would be the cable sagging

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Seems like food would really stick to the cable?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

very possible

I had very little sticking on the ti spokes, what little there was I could "skim off" w/ my fingernail

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I can find the Alumninum tubes but can anyone point me to where I can find the Ti rods since BPL no longer sells? I read bicycle spokes but the ones I am finding are near 50 dollars.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Bike shops often give away wrecked/bent wheels – that means SS spokes for free and you can recycle the rest.

That's how I got mine. Yes, Ti spokes are $$$$$$.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools