Topic

Long Roadless Trails ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Long Roadless Trails ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'm looking for long, high, roadless (and ATV-less) trails, greater than 50 miles. On the Colorado Trail and the CDT in Colorado, 25 miles is about it, and often much less. The PCT through parts of California is probably the best example of what I am looking for.

I don't mind an occasional road or two, but it is amazing how difficult it is to find trails that aren't crossed by highways, gravel county roads, or shredded MC/ATV tracks. From what I've seen, "on the ground" info is the only info that can do the job. Trail guides often ignore the occasional, but well used ATV track or ranch road. So, unless you've "been there done that", hold off.

Here are three examples:
    The PCT from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows
    The Wind Rivers from Green River Lakes to Sweetwater
    The Grand Canyon's Beamer, Escalante, Tonto route isn't high, but IMHO is very worthwhile.

What other sections can you suggest? (And a little cross county to force a connection is OK.)

Thanks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Trail around Three Sisters in Oregon is maybe 47 miles – PCT on the West side, Green Lake trail on the East side

Lots of PCT sections in Washington, like South of White Pass through the Goat Rocks

Lots of trails in the Olympics – I bet you could find a 100 mile loop

The Wallowas in Northeast Oregon

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The High Sierra trail across SEKI to Whitney is ~70 miles with no roads. One of my all-time favorite trips.

Andrew

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

What about the Bob?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm looking for long, high, roadless (and ATV-less) trails, greater than 50 miles."

1) The High Sierra Trail to the Kern Canyon Trail to the John Muir connector trail to the JMT to Roads End in KCNP.

1) Mineral King to the Kern Canyon Trail over Franklin Pass and down Rattlesnake Creek. From there to Lake South America and then use two short connecting trails (see Mt Whitney 15' map) to the JMT and head north to Roads End in KCNP. This route will take you through the heart of the Kern River/Upper Kern Basin, which is some of the mos magnificent country in the Sierra. Lots of opportunities for beautiful one/two day side trips(Milestone Basin, Thunder Basin). Well over 50 miles. It could be done in 5-6 days if you wanted to push it, but I'd recommend 8-9 days to leave time for really enjoying the experience. There are also a couple of neat variations that involve off trail travel. PM me if interested.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Tom,
    I have a couple of your routes bookmarked.

This is indeed a great area amenable to building long loops.

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"This is indeed a great area amenable to building long loops."

Very much so, Greg. Somehow I overlooked the possibility that you might want to do a loop. If you have gone as far as bookmarking the routes and have the relevant maps, you'll have an easy time coming up with a number of loops. You really can't go wrong down there. It is my favorite part of the Sierra, hands down. You'll have a great time if you end up going there. Let me know if you need any info that isn't in the books or online; I know the area pretty well.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was trying to figure out a place for a next Sierra hike, that sounds like a real winner.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Canada, you can go hundreds of KM on trails with no roads/ATV tracks in the parks up here. with no people on them. And u don't need a bear canister.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

You might look into the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I was trying to figure out a place for a next Sierra hike, that sounds like a real winner."

Anytime, Dirk.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"1) Mineral King to the Kern Canyon Trail over Franklin Pass and down Rattlesnake Creek. From there to Lake South America and then use two short connecting trails (see Mt Whitney 15' map) to the JMT and head north to Roads End in KCNP. This route will take you through the heart of the Kern River/Upper Kern Basin, which is some of the mos magnificent country in the Sierra. Lots of opportunities for beautiful one/two day side trips(Milestone Basin, Thunder Basin). Well over 50 miles. It could be done in 5-6 days if you wanted to push it, but I'd recommend 8-9 days to leave time for really enjoying the experience. There are also a couple of neat variations that involve off trail travel. PM me if interested."

Tom's suggestion is similar to the route that I plotted out for myself for this summer. One variation is to go north past Lake South America and over Harrison Pass to East Lake to Bubbs Creek. The major problem is one of transportation back to Mineral King. Kaweah Gap, Colby Pass, and all of the rest of the high spots in that vicinity have fabulous views.

–B.G.–

Mark Olah

@gorgar3141

Locale: New Mexico

Since you are in Colorado, how about a traverse of the Weminuche wilderness. Probably 110+ miles from Wolf Creek Pass to Vallecito Creek TH near Durango. You can add on another 80 miles or so if you start at Cumbres pass and do the CDT through the S. San Juan Wilderness first. Then you would have to cross US160 @ wolf creek, but you could just close your eyes and run, and your back in the wilderness. Also the Gila wilderness in NM could swallow a 2-week trip with no road crossings if planned correctly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools