Topic

central and southern bpl ers checking interrest in some spring/summer trips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips central and southern bpl ers checking interrest in some spring/summer trips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/vendors.php

for anyone needing to get an adventure pass for next weekend here is a vendor locator hopefully there will be a vendor close to your area so you don t have to go
    too far away to buy one

kevin

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It looks like instead of Friday I'll be heading in Saturday morning with Michael Skwarczek. We'll likely only stop to say hello and hang out for a bit though- we're going to move on and hike the 15 additional miles to the Sespe hot springs and camp there instead, leaving Sunday.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

I some how missed this thread. I wouldn't be able to go on this trip, but I've felt for a long time that it would be great if we could have an active group like the Bay Area BPLers. You can count me in on future trips.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I've been watching this thread and am definitely interested in future trips. The calendar doesn't work for me for this trip. If anyone is interested in going sometime in May, let me know. I live in Santa Clarita. Have fun!

Mike

kevin smith

@divr6347

kendall and michael

it will be great to have both of you out on future trips if this trip goes smoothly
    im sure we will plan a few more over the summer (too hot for the sespe trip after this month though)
    but we will find some other cool destination and head on out

kevin

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Thanks Kevin.

There's a short writeup about the trail Modern Hiker:
    http://www.modernhiker.com/2007/06/19/backpacking-sespe-creek/

Mike

kevin smith

@divr6347

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/weekend/050701:13

here is the closest weather report i could find for the area looks like great weather pack accordingly lol

kevin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

You just beat me to it!

Here's a more specific weather forecast for the Bear Creek area of the Sespe. Beautiful weather on tap.

Could be a little windy if the weather stays like the rest of this week… calm in the mornings, picking up to 20-25 mph with possible higher gusts in the afternoon/evenings.

Keep an eye out for rattlers on the trail.

kevin smith

@divr6347

thanks for the updated report

are you still comming out on saturday afternoon/evening??

kevin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Hi Kevin,

Yeah, I still plan to hike in sometime Saturday afternoon or early evening. My exact ETA is a bit up in the air right now since I'm not sure how long I'm going to be held up at the race Sat a.m. It shouldn't be too hard to find you guys though.

-Nick

kevin smith

@divr6347

well guys its almost here

i talked to ojai ranger district this morning and they said it is beautiful weather out there right now high 70 s to low 80 s in the daytime and high 40 s to low 50 s at night

they told me the water is still a little high but said the crossings are calf to thigh high so im guessing it wont be an issue

also one reminder

she also told me that adventure passes expire at 10 am the day after they are marked so if you are planning on sleeping in on sunday and hiking out later in the day you may want to consider getting an extra day pass

if anyone needs directions to the trailhead please email or pm me and ill send you directions
    looking foward to meeting everyone and having a great time with other bpl ers

A WORD OF CAUTION FOR ANYONE HIKING IN SATURDAY PITCH YOUR TENT AT LEAST 50 YDS FROM JACKS TENT UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE UP ALL NIGHT LOL

anyway i will be in a dark blue jeep wrangler and will be at the trailhead around 11-30 or 12 pm on friday if anyone else wants to meet up and hike in with us come on out
    see everyone there lets have an awesome trip guys
    kevin

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

For all the people who are coming on this trip, me and kevin are going to have a couple of contest for you guys on Sat., can't give you any clues, but it should be fun, and there will be prize's. If any one else has some ideas for a contest you can let us know, or just spring it on the group when we get there. The contest wont be any thing crazy, like carring an egg on your head while fording a creek, all though that does sound kind of interesting, no, it will all have to do with backpacking, so bring your "A" game and may the best BPL'er win. We will try to start the contest around 4:00 p.m. hopefully everyone will be there by then. Thanks, Jack

P.S I wont be there Fri. night, I just have to much stuff to get ready still, but I will be there early Sat. morning, hopefully start hiking around 7:30-8:00 a.m.

kevin smith

@divr6347

all packed up and ready to head out leaving in about 30 minutes as soon as ryan

finishes packing his food

everyone have a safe trip to the trailhead we will see you all tonight or tomorrow

looking foward to agreat weekend guys

kevin

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Nice! Im already stoked! I'll see you tomorrow morning-ish.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Just in case you guys want to go explore before I arrive…

There's good water from a spring just a little up the trail from Bear Creek. You'll see it on the topo as Kerr Spring. It's in practically the only stretch of trail that passes through a more lush, green area. The spring seeps out of the hillside. Otherwise, you can just filter/treat water straight from the Sespe.

There's lot of good swimming holes all along the Sespe and they shift around each winter as big rains move boulders and sand around. EDITED: To remove hints to a favorite swimming hole. I hiked in there yesterday and was dismayed to find trash, fire rings, etc. left behind. While I doubt any of the BPL folks would trash a site, I don't really want other non-BPLers to find the spot if they can't respect it.

If you have the time on your way in or out, I'd encourage you to detour into the Piedras Blancas formations. For you non-spanish speakers, that means white rocks. You can't miss them from the trailhead. It's a big jumble of HUGE sandstone monoliths with various caves, cracks, etc. to explore. Really interesting formations.

Looking forward to meeting all of you guys.

-Nick

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I just got word that another tribe of bpers will be raiding sespe sat morning. LA backpackers club, 12 strong, heading to the hot springs. if we all bring rubberbands we can take the high ground and shoot paperclips at them as they go by.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Adan, what time are you going to get there? I have a lot of rubber bands, and I'm a pretty good shot, I think I can widdle that group down to about 5. LOL

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Actally im sick. I thought i could shake it by now. If i feel strong enough i might try to be there by 8. Not sure pretty bummed.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Fun trip guys! Glad to have met all of you.

Seems like everyone enjoyed themselves. Looking forward to seeing everyone's photos and write-ups.

Cheers,

Nick

kevin smith

@divr6347

posted up a trip report

kind of a mess but got some photos in anyway

everyone feel free to post your photos and comments when you get a chance

it was a fun trip with great people nicholas knows the area like the back of his hand and is a wealth of information on the area it was amazing to hear how much area there is to explore out there and the swimming holes he was talking about sound awesome

great meeting you nicholas im sure i will hit you up for further trips into the sespe and other places around the area soon

kevin

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for organizing a fun trip Kevin. Everybody was beyond cool and welcoming. It was good to meet everybody. Sespe is a beautiful spot, looking forward to going back soon. See you next time. ~ Andy.

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools