Topic

Plastic Snap tool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Plastic Snap tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

I'm not really sure if that's the tool I need, or rather if plastic snaps will work on the following materials: nanoseeum, cubenfiber, general sil nylon. I know the bug skirting on my duomid has the plastic snaps. Has anyone seen a cheap tool finally surface on the market? I don't think I'll have much in the way of setting these snaps, so the 'nicer' versions of these tools strike me as cost prohibitive. I have seen some of the do it yourself tools, but I was wondering if anyone had new suggestions. Does anyone ever 'rent' to do a tool swap here?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Harbor Freight Tools. They've got 'em.

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Thanks guys these look like the ticket…..will the proposed materials be ok with this tool?

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

+1 on Kamsnaps. I purchased a kit from them recently that includes the tool and a bunch of snaps here http://www.kamsnaps.com/Pliers-for-Plastic-Snaps/Pliers-for-Plastic-Snaps-Bundle-COSMETIC-DEFECT-p150.html

I've used them with great success so far on nanoseeum, sil, ripstop, and bias tape. You'll probably want to use some sort of backer (or multiple layers of material) on the lighter-weight stuff.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

Do you use the size 14 snaps or larger on your quilts? The snaps on my quilts seem very robust and perhaps a tad large/heavy. I'd be interested in going down a size if you're not already using their smallest size.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i use a size 20. these things weigh so little that i don't know if there is value in going with the smallest as you loose holding power the smaller you go (i believe). 4 sets (8 snaps) weight 1 gram(just measured).

-Tim

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I think I tried the 16 and 20 snaps…

If I remember right — the 20's are ~30% heavier but seem to hold about twice as well.

Tim's correct in that the weight is negligible (gasp…yes, I just went there). I plan to use the 20's on my quilt closure.

james

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I use 4 sets of snaps on my new quilts. If size 14 weighed 1/2 what size 20 weigh i would save 1/2 gram by using size 14 and lose substantial holding power. And the reality is that the size 14 isn't half the weight of the size 20 so we're talking about s savings of perhaps 1/3-1/4 gram on the entire quilt. I am for sure a gram counter but i do count in whole grams:)

-Tim

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

+1 on kamsnaps. I just got the tool with a bunch of snaps in subdued colors, more than I can use in a lifetime. I've used them on a fleece neck buff thing and some lightweight snow gaiters. They seem to work well so far…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Tim,

My Kmsnaps kit arrived a couple of days ago and it works just fine.

Thanks for the info.

I tried to find snaps and applicator a couple of years ago and hit a dead end.

Daryl

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

when i looked a few years ago i hit a wall too. then Steve Evans turned me on to KAM Snaps and i have been using them since. Glad to share what has been shared with me.

-Tim

Chris Lucas

@cheme

I finally have a project the requires these handy little snaps so I being the gram nazi that I am (as per Joe), I ordered both the size 14 and 16 snaps since this project will not require very much holding power. On my decigram scale I get the following weights using a single snap set (4 pieces):

Size 14 = 0.4 grams/set
    Size 16 = 0.5 grams/set

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

KAM! Buying gear to make gear. Create a meta-gear container.

"Honey, no that was not more hiking gear that UPS dropped off".

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Great minds think alike. I just weighed a size 20 set about an hour ago. It came in at 0.8 grams/set.

Ryan

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Cool! I was wondering what the size 20's would weigh in at. Clearly Tim's scale isn't too precise if it registered 4 sets at 1 gram. I knew that couldn't be right based on my measurements but its nice to have confirmation.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Additional measurements:

10sets of sz14 = 5.1gr
    10sets of sz20 = 7.5gr

My scale is just one of those cheap chinese numbers that Dan Durstan clued us into awhile back…don't know about accuracy but it is very precise.

I was backwards on my relation between the two above…

14s seem to be 30% lighter than the 20s (&thus the 20s 50% heavier than the 14s).

Maybe .25grams (.01oz) saved using the 14s vice the 20s. My pick is easily the 20s.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

I also reweighed 10 sets each in order to get more precise numbers and got the following:

#14: 10 sets = 4.7 grams or 0.47 grams/set
    #16: 10 sets = 5.1 grams or 0.51 grams/set

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools