Topic

How light is light enough?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How light is light enough?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I dropped from a base weight of 35lbs (yes, you read that right) down to 15lbs in one fell swoop some 5 years ago and it was like a completely new experience. I have since whittled it down to 10-12 depending on temps and really didn't notice the difference from 15lbs very much. I do appreciate bringing less stuff regardless, as it just makes life more simple and enjoyable for me.

As I have gotten older my need for food has dropped considerably and for trips under 7-10 days or so, I don't need more than 16oz per day which makes my starting pack weight less for a 7 day trip, than someone else with a lower base weight and greater food requirements. More and more I am opting out on cooking, especially when traveling solo which drops another 1 – 2 lbs.

I am headed out this afternoon for the weekend to push things lighter and more minimal that I have done to date. I am going the bivy/poncho tarp route and no stove and with expected temps in the low 20's at night and rain/snow forecasted, it should make for an interesting time. This will put the philosophy of "too" to the test.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"As I have gotten older my need for food has dropped considerably and for trips under 7-10 days or so, I don't need more than 16oz per day which makes my starting pack weight less for a 7 day trip, than someone else with a lower base weight and greater food requirements. More and more I am opting out on cooking, especially when traveling solo which drops another 1 – 2 lbs."

Correlates with my experience. It's about the only positive thing I can think of about getting older. :(

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I have various base weights depending on the season, expected weather during the trip, and primarily what I feel like taking.

I successfully did the 5 lb and enjoyed it. However more and more I find that I don't weigh my pack. I attribute this trend to me being in better shape and being normal weight for my height. My packs always seem light and most people I run into to or hike with still have the traditional gear. I seriously don't think I would backpack if I used traditional gear.

Agree with Tom about needing less food as we gray (actually for me whitened and shedded on top).

I love being an old geezer that steps lively and grazes moderately.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

When I got to under 10lbs, thats when I was happy. It made a world of difference than the 25lb+ base weight I used to haul around. I've widdled it away to around 8lbs now, and I have no intentions of going lower. I am perfectly comfortable with what I have now, so why change it? Like others said though, a bigger challenge now is reducing bulk. I like a nice slim pack too, and its not easy to do with bulky gear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I love being an old geezer that steps lively and grazes moderately."

Well, at least I graze moderately. :(

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Well I'm not getting grey or white…oh no I look in the mirror and it's just a little blonder every day ;)

Think I'd drop the stove and warm food too if I could just figure out how to get that cup-a-joe without it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Think I'd drop the stove and warm food too if I could just figure out how to get that cup-a-joe without it."

If you'll settle for a warm cup-a-joe, just take a bottle of water to bed with you. By morning it'll be body temp and all you have to do is pop a tube or two of Via, or your preferred instant, into the bottle and you're good to go. Beats the heck out of cold coffee and, for me, is a worthwhile trade off for the weight/bulk of a cooking kit. It also makes me really appreciate a cup of the genuine article when I get back to civilization.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Agree with Tom about needing less food as we gray (actually for me whitened and shedded on top)."

The shedding does reduce the total FSO weight. I wonder if gray hair weighs less than our old hair.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> I wonder if gray hair weighs less than our old hair.

Scientists have been unable to verify a weight difference among human males because they've yet to find a human male that would donate even one strand of gray filamentous biomaterial.

However, the fact that 'human males with gray hair are extremely intelligent' is indisputable.

: )

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

However, the fact that 'human males with gray hair are extremely intelligent' is indisputable.

Men with front balding are great thinkers. Men with rear balding are greate lovers. Completely bald men think they are great lovers.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

"think they are"

LOL – therefore I am!

It is mysterious to me that I have a wife that has put up with my balding, decrepit carcass for decades.

I just realized – so this is why she's never discouraged me from going walking in the wilderness with an ultralight pack.

: )

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools