Topic

Cup/Cook Pot Combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Cup/Cook Pot Combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I usually camp with others and use a larger pot but am preparing a solo hike, the first in quite a while. I need help with a combination cup/cook pot. I know all the usual suspects, most out of titanium, but I am looking for a much cheaper solution. I familiar with the beer can pots but want something a little more flexible. Anybody find some aluminum or tin can options that are ultra light. I would like 20 oz or a little more and can make an insulation grip from closed cell foam and a lid from foil. Maybe use a Snow Pk Hot Lips on it. Trying to avoid a pot lifter but may be the only option.

The cup will be used with a Thermojet stove.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks,
    Jeff

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

I would suggest the 10cm IMUSA mug sold by End2EndTrailSupply (no personal affiliation). The people are great to work with, and the mug fits your specs almost exactly =)

found here

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the IMSUA mug– about as simple and light and cheap as it gets for a manufactured pot. It will have utility on your other hikes as well. A little foil for a lid, a bandana for a hot pad and you're campin'.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Thanks guys! It just so happened before your post I went out in search of something that would work. I found the IMUSA mug you suggest at Wal-Mart for a $1.97. I don't need not stinken titanium.

kevin smith

@divr6347

dole pinapple juice can lid fits perfect on the 10 cm imusa especially if you have an opener that cuts around the outside edge drill a hole in center and make a handle
    and you are all set

if you just want a lid for storage and not cooking the 1 lb sure seal blue plastic lid from a maxwell house coffee can will snap right on there its tight at first but it will fit and gets easier after the first time

kevin

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Thanks Kevin for the lid tip!

Anyone find a mod to insulate the handle from getting too hot?

Any one make an insulation sleeve to keep coffee hot?

And last anyone add something to keep from burning lips like Snow Peak Hot Lips?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Anyone find a mod to insulate the handle from getting too hot?"

Thin aluminum foil is sufficient.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Anyone find a mod to insulate the handle from getting too hot?

Any one make an insulation sleeve to keep coffee hot?

And last anyone add something to keep from burning lips like Snow Peak Hot Lips?"

You'll spend more on mods than the pot costs! I would use a bandana and put my coffee in a light insulated cup, leaving the pot to boil more water or prep food.

A Reflectix cozy would be easy to make, just cut with scissors and use shipping tape or foil tape.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

"You'll spend more on mods than the pot costs! I would use a bandana and put my coffee in a light insulated cup, leaving the pot to boil more water or prep food."

No doubt it might cost a couple of bucks but the point is to get rid of my cup, bowl, and pot and replace with this. I will probably use close cell foam to insulate the cup, use the tin foil trick or some heat resistant tape for the handle. I only have about $2 invested so a few more $ will still be cheaper than other options out there.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

I have this egg ring and If I take off the handle it will work as a lip guard. Any 4" egg ring should work.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

I usually just take a disposable coffee cup (typically a small starbucks 'mug')- with this, I can easily clean/ dry it out when I'm done and use it the next day. And when my trip is over, I can either wash it well to reuse it, or just toss it in the recycling =)! Another trick that works pretty well is to use the bowl from an EasyMac single-serving container– I think this could work better for the IMUSA mug since it's so short.
    coffee cupeasymac mug

Jason Sizemore

@sizemj

Locale: Bluegrass

Easy Mac cups do make great bowls. I thought I was the only one with that idea : )

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Get a Fosters can, cut the top off with a top cutter and put a bail handle on it out of SS wire. Put that inside a Koolaid or country time lemonade container. Crush proof and it can handle boiling water and its transparent so good for measuring.

The downside is you have to bag cook. Too hard to clean the can otherwise.

I like them cut down to an 18 oz container in the short plastic koolaid container.

My entire cook kit weighs 5 oz.

For lifting of that pot or a IMUSA mug take a wool glove.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

A bubble wrap envelope (used flat or cut up into a cylinder) is sufficient for summer use, depending on your menu ingredients. The bubble thickness varies with the size of the envelope. Use reflectrix for your winter cozy. No need to carry more insulation than is needed for your trip.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

"And last anyone add something to keep from burning lips like Snow Peak Hot Lips?"

A small section of medical grade silicon tubing used as a drinking straw works well on hot beverages. I figured this out after I put the same tube on my SP600 wire handles, which works well too.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

For handling, use a bandana or wool gloves.

I like to drink out of a 16 oz size plastic Ziploc bowl, which is 0.9 oz.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

The straw is only a few grams. Plus the OP wanted to eliminate extra containers.

If I make cowboy coffee I use the mac-n-cheese cup for a mug. That way I can pour coffee off the top of my pot and avoid grounds.

If it's instant coffee, then drinking right out of the pot with the silicon straw works really well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools