Topic

Modified G6 for Oct Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modified G6 for Oct Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Modified G6 for Oct Hike.

I made a few modifications to my G6 so I could use it for the first of my two Hikes in Georgia that I just finished. The weight came down to below 3 ounces with the removal of the big pocket on the front of the pack. I also removed the Velcro from the shoulder Straps. I added more lash loops to the other 2 sides so I had a row of lash loops on all four corner of the pack. I made a removable mesh bag that I can connect to the lash loops and also use it at night as a bear bag for my food. I added a sternum strap and two “D” rings to each piece of the webbing that makes up the sternum straps. I carried this pack on a 65 mile hike in Georgia that started about two weeks ago with about 17 pounds in it. This weight was almost all food and water.

I loaded 4.5 days worth of food and 2.5 L of water and used it on my first GA Hike 2 weeks ago. At its heaviest it weighted about 17 pounds.

The G6 toward the end of the Hike.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Bill – After having talked about this hike for the past few months, it must have been GREAT to get out there and do a full-on gear shakedown.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Sam,

You are so right. It was really great being back in the woods. It had been over three years.

I am looking forward to my next hike. I hope to go for at least 30 days next time. If I work it right I might be able to go from Springer Mt to Mt Katahdin in 2007. I can’t be gone longer the 3 months without a follow-up exam but may be able to stop my hike for a couple of weeks to do the exams etc and then continue on.

I am playing with some designs for some new gear for colder weather. If all goes well I might start as early as Jan 2007 going north (AT) for 30 to 60 days or so for a gear test.

My cold weather gear goal is Sub 5 ?? pounds if it is possible. I really want my gear lighter than that but I am not sure I can get lower and stay alive.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What’s the longest between re-supplies along the AT? That’s a great long distance trail for going SUL.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Bill,

I love your removable front pocket/bear bag idea. Brilliant!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Sam,

On the AT I would try and re-supply about every 3 to 5 days. If I use something like Dry Ensure I will need to mail it ahead. I need about one pound of the dry stuff per day. I look at a hike as just so many resupply cycles so it is just 3 to 5 days at a time. In mild weather – temperature wise – SUL should not be that big a deal. I would not die to prove a point so if I had to carry more for awhile to stay warm I would. I slept on the ground without pads two nights on my hike in GA and was OK.

Michael,

Thanks. I exchange emails with Glen Van Peski about Sub 2 pound gear lists and modifying my G6. He mentioned that he used a mesh bag for things in his pack and at night used the mesh bag as a bear bag. That was the spark for the idea to use the mesh Pack pocket also as a bear bag so Glen gets the credit for the basic idea. What I did was make a way to attach the mesh bag to the pack so it could be removed without a lot of trouble.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Bill,
    I agree with Michael, the mesh pocket/bear bag idea you and Glen came up with is one of those forhead-slapping “why didn’t I think of that” ideas which I believe should be integrated into future production SUL packs. You mentioned returning to hiking after a 3 year absence, I returned to hiking after a 10 year absence; and I can totally appreciate the good feeling of being back in nature again.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Bill, I just wanted to say how happy it makes me to see you out on the trail. Congratulations and happy trails.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill,

Congrats on your health allowing you to be out there. I truly enjoyed seeing the pics of you on the trail – felt very happy for you and want to thank you for sharing your pics with us and for allowing me to experience vicariously some of your joy.

If you don’t mind the company, hope to be able to hook up with you on the AT for a few days in ’07 when you get nearer to CT on your push to Katadhin.

Take care.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools