Topic

AYOG (Assemble Your Own Gear) – Geigerrig rig

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear AYOG (Assemble Your Own Gear) – Geigerrig rig

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    seth t

@diggity

geigerrig unassembled

geigerrig assembled

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

Very Cool! So you pressurize the "dirty water bag" with the air pump as the water is purifided so as to put more pressure on the water so that the water will be forced through the filter faster.So would call it somthing like a Pressurized water filter?Or a Pressurized gravity filter? How much does it weigh?

seth t

@diggity

oo

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Seth,

Widen your field of view a little. That Red Chair NWPA was probably there to help you celebrate the completion of your AYOG Geigerrig rig.;-)

So from what I see here you got a Sawyer in line water filter at REI, a 3.0 liter hydration engine from Geigerrig and hooked it up to a 3.0 liter Platypus Hoser. It looks simple and efficient.

I'm guessing at about $130.00 in parts alone, is this correct? Have you weighed it yet? I'm really interested in the weight of the Geigerrig hydration engine. The Hoser and the filter probably weigh in at about 5 ounces.

I personally do not use hydration reservoirs but I have long been looking at the Sawyer unit for filtration. I really like being able to "pump up the volume" so that I could fill my bottles and cook pots quickly.

Party On,

Newton

Just saw your last post after I hit the post message button on this post. 11 ounces total for the whole system minus the approximate 5 ounces for the Hoser and filter leaves 6 ounces for the hydration engine. For my application the total weight would probably top out at 7 or 8 ounces for the filter and hydration engine.

Thanks,

Newton

seth t

@diggity

oo

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Look interesting, I've been looking for a fast filter system for awhile. This would be a little heavier than my current setup, but much faster.

Red Chair rules, good choice, my favorite Deschutes brew

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

"Produced 2.5 liters of water in less than five minutes with a few dozen hand pumps to pressurize."

That's about what I get using gravity and a slightly longer dirty side hose. For that reason and from a reliability standpoint, I'd lose the pump.

For those who'd like to save a little more money, a Sawyer filter can be had from Wal-Mart for $40. (doesn't include fittings and backflush attachment).

bob geiger

@geigerrig

FROM GEIGERRIG –

This presentation of the GEIGERRIG used to accelerate in-line filtration is cool to see. Here is a link to some further discussion in this regard: http://www.i-newswire.com/pressurized-hydration-and-filtration/93623.

Please remember the GEIGERRIG Hydration Engine can be easily turned inside out for cleaning in a dish-washer or for rinsing out and air drying in a tree.

Putting dirty water in a hydration pack has been a no-no for quite some time. However, this is mostly because the hydration bladders are difficult to clean and to sanitize. This is not the case with the GEIGERRIG.

Feel free to communicate directly with us at [email protected].

seth t

@diggity

oo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools