Topic

DYI water filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DYI water filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

I have seen alot of talk on the Amigo gravity filters. Some are using sawyer inline some are not. I have am looking for directions on how to make one of these filters step by step. Where to get the parts , tubing , connectors, bags etc. Anybody point me to a link? searching google I couldn't find anything and search on this site didn't pop anything either under water filter.

thanks.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Here's a link to JustJeff's website. He's one of the moderators over on HammockForums and his site really is a great resource… even for non-hammockers. Scroll down a bit and look under 'Other Gear'

JustJeff's MYOG page

Personally, I use an MYO-filter similar to THIS

Good luck!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Try here I made the exact same one and I love it. I would recommend using the camel back quick disconnect and valve shut off, you can get them on line or almost any sporting store, or bike shop. Hope this is what you are looking for, any questions just post it here, pm's don't work.

Joshua Kronberg

@stitch10

"Personally, I use an MYO-filter similar to THIS"

I have seen that youtube about using the 1 micron desil fuel filter to make your own water filter. Since it was mentioned here I was wondering if anyone knows if the manufacturing of those are consistent enough to ensure that there are no gaps in the filter larger than the stated 1 micron and if use would damage the product resulting in a larger than 1 micron filtration. I would love to adopt this style filter and never look back. It seems even easier than chemical treatment!

For what it is worth I have been using a Sawyer inline water filter for over a year now and it is very easy. I just attatch it to a Platypus hose and drink straight from the 3L water bladder or even a 2L soda bottle. The flow can get pretty bad but it beats most other filtration methods in my opinion (I hate pumping with a passion).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools