Topic

Please help me move from 1-season to 3-season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Please help me move from 1-season to 3-season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Derek,

If you would like email me or give me a call and I might be able to help guide you a bit on some of these decisions–especially with the coming season.

[email protected] or 970-223-2102.

Jason

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

There are a million lightweight down jackets (I have a few in my closet) and these are easy to find on sale. $100 seems about the ball-park for a good one that weighs little.

Here's the BPL puffy:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_cocoon_hoody.html

Here is a synthetic puffy jacket for sale for $60:
    http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=109009209&mc=&t=&lat=

and her's an 11 oz jacket for $165
    http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-alpine-light-down-jacket-mens

Here are $150 pants
    http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-ultralight-down-inner-pant-mens

I suspect if you searched, you could find something a little less expensive, or these same items on sale. But, spending more here will save you in the cost of a warmer sleeping bag. The down items last a LONG time (sometimes synthetics will loose their insulation after a few years and multiple washings)

And – Down is the absolute lightest and warmest per oz. A huge weight savings in the pack.

also – I have used MINI-bics exclusively for well over a decade. And I have NEVER had any issue a all. Summer, winter, high altitude, in the rain, etc. I just make sure I throw em out when I suspect their fuel is low after several outings.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I just make sure I throw em out when I suspect their fuel is low after several outings."

In a dark room, shine your headlamp through the plastic body. You'll be able to see the fuel level when you gently shake it.

I am amazed at how long they last.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dan said "Turning a 1 season gearlist into a 3 season gearlist doesn't have to be very hard or expensive.

To convert my gearlist into a '3 season' one, I swap out my thin down vest (MB Ex-Light) for a much warmer down jacket (MB Alpine Light) and I add some down pants (GooseFeet). There's no need for a different sleeping bag. The warmer down jacket and down pants are worn inside my 1 season sleeping bag and keep me toasty. I don't bother changing pads either. I've slept on snow on my 9oz torso length NeoAir and it's never been a problem in anything but true winter conditions. I also use the same shoes. If I'm really feeling like a wuss, I might add some wp/b or VBL socks (Rocky) to keep my feet a bit warmer.

On the rare occasions that you encounter heavy snow on a 3 season trip, I'd say you could likely just knock it off your shelter a few times per night to avoid shelter damage.

Lots of weight could be saved off your gearlist, but I won't go into that."

I have to agree, a 20 degree bag (or quilt) w/ the addition of a light down jacket/pants should easily get you into full 3 season use, if you have cold feet add down booties; a wool or fleece hat/gloves should already be part of your "summer" kit

I add a GG 3/16" pad to my neoair and am fine into the mid teens

not familiar w/ your shelter, but most of the small mids on the market are fine for snow, many are fine for full winter use- most are pretty light

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have always had to use the larger Bic lighter because the of the new child proof flint ring wheel you push down was to hard to light on the mini Bic because of my arthritis in my hand.

I found a new electronic ignite mini one push button "Bic Clic" mini lighter it awesome little lighter no more flint wheel,Same size as the old mini but easier to light and no more thumb pain.I don't have a scale but I think it about the same weight.

http://www.biclighter.com/phpworx/index.php?cmd=site_display_lighter&lighter_id=158&category_id=21

Terry

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Interesting. Wonder if the BIC's little push button ignite can be grafted onto a canister stove — or even an alky? That would make a cool toy. :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used the Cricket piezoelectric lighters, which are a little thinner and longer than the Bic Mini— I don't recall the weight. They do seem to light more consistently on the first try and the longer shell is easier to handle. I carry redundant fire starters, so wet performance isn't a priority. A lighter is my daily workhorse, not my emergency gear.

Terry, if the flint wheel cover is in the way on the Bic, you can just pry it out with a small screwdriver.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The childproof thing is easily removed. Don't be lazy, get rid of it. I wrote a book, due out in early May, with LOTS of instructional cartoons!

mini-bic

Sky Horne

@simplyalpine

Locale: Vagabonding..

OMG, why hadn't i done this until now?! you just saved me soo much trouble.

Rob Wolfenden

@wolverine

Locale: North East

It depends on how much insulation you're getting from them. If there's even a slight chance of snow and they're not only keeping you dry but adding insulation as well then I would recommend taking them. But if they're not adding much insulation other than keeping you dry then you can bring something like DriDucks. They're cheap and weight a little less (6oz). Just be sure to order a size smaller they come extra big for some reason. And avoind bushwacking extensively as they're pretty thin and tear easily (duct tape works great to repair). But I would leave the rain pants out and bring them situationaly if expecting heavy snow IMO. You can leave the pants on from the convertibles if they will keep you warm enough in snow during your hike assuming it comes unexpectedly. And then unzip the legs off, change into the long johns and leave the shorts on over the lj's at camp while the legs dry.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Derek,

Always up for a beer, it would be great if Jason could join us too. As for your list, clothing is tough to figure out here. I have been experimenting with different layers all winter on day hikes and nightly dog walks, just to figure out what keeps me warm while moving and stopped in various weather.

I think if you swap out your fleece for a wool hoodie or Patagonia R1 Hoodie and add a light down jacket (preferably with hood) and a lightweight wind shirt you would be fine for most conditions. The hoodies will keep your head warm when using the quilt and work better on the trail than stopping to put your hat on.

Just varying your baselayer, (heavy or Light) has a lot to do with warmth as well. Then just experiment with rain gear etc. as time goes on you will learn what you do not need. I am still trying to figure it out myself, I have only lived here a year and just found this site a few months ago, it has been really helpful, especially the technique articles.

As for dropping major weight, your backpack will be the big bang for the buck, just buy something a little on the big (but light) side so you have room when the kids come along (65L?). I do not know how warm the Big Agnes pad is but a Thermarest prolite is warm and comfy, a short is 11 ounces. You probably bought the rainshadow for when kids come along, which is fine, there is always a compromise.

Allen Butts had his Colorado Trail gear list on here not to long ago.

Anytime you want to head out for a quick over-nighter let me know, i just went out last night.

Eric

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

As for the stove, I really like the GSI minimalist, there are lighter options but it is a nice "system" with the cozy and drink lid. I made a cat can stove and windscreen that both fit inside.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools