Topic

Heat resistant dust tape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heat resistant dust tape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I bought a titanium pot from Backcountry, their own model on sale for $25, not bad. Only thing is handles are bare. I was thinking heat resistant duct tape would work, anyone have experience with it? if so, roughly how thick will I need to go?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

My Evernew has handles with silicone insulation

You could smear silicone caulk on the handles

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Maybe even make a small plastic mold to squeeze the caulk into so it forms a more cylindrical shape around the handles? Then again, I wouldnt even need to cover the entire length of the handle; I only use my pots for boiling, never eating or sipping, so I only need to handle it long enough to pour. I've been wanting to experiment with heat resis. DT for some time now, so maybe I'll try both methods.

edit. I just remembered when my father used to come home from phone work with these little red silicone caps, maybe I could find something similar pre-fabed at home depot. On my way to the depot now!

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Never done it, but some ideas:

1. Silicone tubing with a slit cut along it's length so it can be put on.
    2. Heat shrink tubing – not too sure about the heat resistant properties of the olefin (sp?) material, and you need a heat gun to shrink it.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Yea, thought of that. Just got back from the depot, and a guy who camps told me the best and easiest is just a bandana, and I agree with him.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The sliced tubing sounds good and easy. If you can cut it in a spiral, it might stay in place better.

Heat shrink tubing may un-shrink under fire so to speak.

The bandana is low tech and multi-use.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Has anyone tried that plastic/rubber dip paint that you use on tool handles Im not sure if it holds up to heat. Or could the handles be removed then tubing slid on and then reinstalled

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One of my titanium mugs has handles with no insulation, so I just wrapped them with a bit of ordinary aluminum foil. Even if the titanium wire handles conduct some heat out from the mug, and even if some of the burner flame licks up around the handles, the aluminum foil never seems to be affected.

Aluminum wire handles on an aluminum mug will probably conduct a lot more heat.

–B.G.–

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2010/11/keeping-your-pot-handles-cool-different.html

Saw this a while back – involves removing the handle to put silicone tubing on.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

BTW, if the flame is not too wide and you keep the handles apart they will be usually cool enough to pick up without any insulation.
    If the flame is too wide , than it is too wide.
    (try it….)
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If the flame is too wide , than it is too wide."

Why didn't I think of that?

I have one or two tiny burners that make flame patterns that are too wide for certain mugs and cook pots. So, I got out my titanium foil scraps and put some together into one strip that is 0.75 inch wide and about 11 inches long. Then I curled the strip around and made interlocking tabs on the ends. That made a circular strip or ring, and I cut some notches in it so that it sits on the three pot supports of one of the tiny burners. In effect, it makes a flame containment ring, and the mug sits on top of the ring. It weighs just a few grams. After a minute of use, the ring gets orange hot, but that does not bother the titanium.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Just wondering…can you remove your pot handles? If so, the solution is easy. Get the right diameter silicone tubing, cut it to length for each handle, spray a bit of WD-40 in one end, and slide it on (with a little effort). I do this with all my bare ti pot handles, and it works great. If your handles can't be removed, then see the above posts…

Edit–Jason beat me to it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools