Topic

SteriPEN adventurer Opti question…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SteriPEN adventurer Opti question…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I just got this item and have yet to use it in the field. It seems to be much improved from what I read about earlier models, and will save me an ounce-and-a-half over my Timberline filter.

I read much, here on BPL, about removing the batteries when not in use. When I unpacked the unit there was a plastic "disk" to block the circuit and keep the batteries from discharging. If I keep using the disk is this sufficient to keep the batteries from fading?

I have glued a piece of fiberglass rod to the battery cover thumb screw to aid in removing the cover, so it's not that big a deal to store the batteries separately if that's the best thing to do. But I'd rather not have to install and remove the batteries every time I use the device.

What's your experience?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Denis,

Yes, the little plastic bit keeps the circuit "open" and would prevent any potential drain during storage. Probably a prudent step, in case the issue hasn't been completely corrected by SteriPEN. (I've always done this with flashlights that have switches that can inadvertently switch on in a pack.)

Cheers,

Rick

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"What's your experience?"

I have the old Adventurer — the one with metal sensors. I NEVER bother removing the batteries in between uses. No noticeable leaks — even after 3-4 months of storage.

And in my 7-month RTW trip in 2009 when I used my Steripen regularly, 3 sets of CR123's were all that was needed (actually 2.5 sets since the last set still had juice left upon my return).

EDIT: I am really beginning to think that the "auto discharge" problem lies in the rechargeable batteries themselves — and not in the Steripen circuitry. My batteries were Energizer Lithium batteries — non-rechargeable — and again, I just haven't found "auto discharge" a problem at all with my Energizer batts.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

To quote Roger's Opti review:

"First of all, many of the older Adventurer units had a rather high 'off-state' current drain, of about 600 micro-amps. This meant that storing the unit with the batteries in place for a few weeks could make a bit of a dent in the battery capacity. It was not unknown for people to go to use their Adventurer during a trip only to find that the batteries were flat. It turns out (according to Hydro-Photon, the makers), that the 'off-state' current drain was never meant to be anywhere near that high: it should have been only a tenth of that."

The rub is that "many" which implies "some, but not all." For a specific unit, it's not hard to test for anybody who owns a multimeter and wants definitive data.

Cheers,

Rick

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Rick:

In that case, if I were a recent buyer, I would go to the nearest Radio Shack (or equivalent) and do a quick test. I strongly suspect that Hydro Photon has fixed the "unexpected" problem — but if there is a high leak, I would sooner return/exchange the unit — then deal with reversing/swapping out batteries for as long as I own the darn thing…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi Ben,

Agreed, far better to know than to fret.

Cheers,

Rick

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger Caffin did some testing with the newer model and reported better battery life.

I use a simple strip of paper under the battery compartment cover to prevent discharging. I like the idea of a plastic disk– you could cut one from a recycled container or use a plastic washer.

Basically, any device using batteries should be stored for long terms should have the batteries removed. I've seen a lot equipment damaged due to battery leakage.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> any device using batteries should be stored for long terms should have the batteries removed.

My thoughts exactly.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ditto 2 — although I was referring to cases where battery drainage seems excessive and quick — as in a week or two. Definitely not the norm — not for non-chargeable lithiums.

Rob Lambert
    Spectator

@roblambert

Locale: Ozarks

I was puzzled that my infrequently used steripen indicator light turned red when immersed in water.
    I emailed SteriPen "I replaced the batteries and remedied the problem, yet the old batteries were only used for maybe 50 treatments and register "good" on a battery checker. Is something wrong with my pen?"

Reply from SterPen: "You can expect up to 50 1L treatments of purified water per set of batteries. Although the batteries may have enough electrical pressure (voltage), the capacity of the battery is depleted. The battery tester may only be testing if there is sufficient voltage without resistive a load, and is giving a false positive."

So, as I read things : (1)if your pen's light turn red when you put it in water, change batteries, (2) take the batteries out of your pen when you aren't on the trail, and (3) don't rely on a voltmeter to decide whether to reuse your batteries.

It is unfortunate that the people who make these gadgets can't include plain-English instructions with them.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I love my Steripen Journey but when I asked a question I got a response that may as well have come off the box, rather than a precise, true answer to my exact question. And it came several MONTHS later!

I think the customer service folks don't have real-world experience with their products – hence the inadequate responses. Too bad, since it's a great product.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Reply from SterPen: “You can expect up to 50 1L treatments of purified water per set of batteries. Although the batteries may have enough electrical pressure (voltage), the capacity of the battery is depleted. The battery tester may only be testing if there is sufficient voltage without resistive a load, and is giving a false positive.”

Can anyone recommend a battery tester that applies a load to check capacity and accepts CR123 batteries?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I had an Adventurer Opti a couple years ago

I used new batteries, treated a couple liters, stored for a month, used again and it only treated a couple more liters before dying.

So, it may be good to remove batteries, although they could have modified the unit since I tried mine.  Or put paper or plastic in would be just as good.

Also, carry a spare set of new batteries

I just returned mine, but a lot of people are happy with it.  I switched to Squeeze which seems more reliable, although it’s not perfect either.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

REMOVE BATTERIES after the trip.
    This applies to any device which has a ‘soft’ switch rather than a mechanical switch. That includes most headlight etc.

Cheers

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

@feetfirst

I’ve got a ZTS MB-1 after going through several cheap $5-10 testers.  I’ve never looked back.  Works great, and reliable.  Recommended in the candlepower forum.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thank you, Jim. Very helpful.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Since many people are backpacking with battery packs to recharge their phones, GPS, headlamps, etc., I’d like to see a Steripen with no battery at all, and instead just a micro USB input. Take the cable and battery pack you would already have with you, and you’re set. Disconnect the cable when you’re done, and there’s no risk of draining the battery.

Plus, the Steripen should be smaller, lighter, and less expensive. (Higher on my wish list, though, is an LED Steripen.)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Jim,

I have the Steripen Ultra which is rechargeable.  I really haven’t had it out enough to give it a thorough review but it has worked well for me the few times I’ve taken it backpacking and when I traveled through India.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Last I knew (a couple or three years ago) They had trouble producing the UV-C wavelengths in LEDs. It could be a while before we see this. I am guessing here, but the plastic is pretty opaque to UV-C. There would also be no indicator (blue light) from the light, it could be quite damaging to the eyes.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Ian: I had a Steripen Ultra. Unfortunately, it gave out on me on my first trip with it, on day four of six. The battery was fine, but it indicated the bulb was kaput. I returned it, and I’m sure my experience was not typical for a Steripen user. And I will say, it was convenient while it lasted.

My idea for a Steripen with no internal batter that runs off a USB battery pack may be a crazy idea, with a potential market of one (me). But, considering there’s some inefficiency using a battery to charge another battery, rather than power the device directly, it’s not <i>completely</i> crazy (just mostly). I’m not going to hold my breath for this one.

James: At least one company has begun mass production of UV-C LEDs. Maybe we’ll see this in the near future. I <i>will</i> hold my breath for this.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Jim, that was news to me. Thanks for the link. Like any new technology, the initial expense will be high along with longevity problems. They say it will have the majority market share by 2018 but I am betting they will only have the kinks worked out. Typically, they will be slow to produce these, but the power requirements will be a LOT less than a bulb. I will guess that Steripen is all over this in an effort to produce some sort of viable travel/camping lamp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

a Steripen with no battery at all, and instead just a micro USB input.

Right now, that cannot happen unless you have an on=board rechargable battery. Not ‘won’t’, cannot. The microUSB current limit is 0.5 A at 5 V; a Steripen with a discharge tube pulls 1 A at >6 V. (That does not include the new USB-C design. It does have higher power.)

However, the world of UV-C LEDs is growing. You can get UV-C LEDs right now, but not with enough (optical) power output. But the power level rises each year. It will happen – when the technology exists.

Cheers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools