Topic

Tarp and Bivy Selections…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp and Bivy Selections…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of research into switching out of using a tent to a tarp/bivy combination. I've put together this spreadsheet with the top choices thus far, but I would like a little anecdotal advice.

(You can grab the spreadsheet at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3206867/Backpacking%20gear.xlsx)

I'm going back and forth between the kelty noah 9 simply because it has a big area, and is also the cheapest, and something like the oware cat tarp 1.5 or 2.0, and the JRB Sculpted tarp or JRB cat tarp.

I've never used a tarp for backpacking, so I'm thinking it's probably safer to err on the side of a larger tarp, but then… I've never done tarp camping.

The second question would be about bivys. I have a Big Agnes Zirkle, which is a 20 degree down bag, and I'm using a Big Agnes insulated air core. Granted, this isn't the lightest setup, but it's warm and comfy.

I worry about using that bag/pad combination in a bivy. I worry that the pad might make the bag smush against the bivy and compress the insulation.

Waterproofing is also a concern of mine. As I've never used a tarp, I don't know what to expect for rain/wet ground. I've been considering a TiGoat raven or ptarmigan vs katabatic bristlecone vs Sierra designs baffin (heavy @ 16oz) I don't think I would need to worry about being claustrophobic in a bivy, but I like the option of a bugnet that can be guyed off your face.

So the questions I have here are:

1.For a first time user of tarps/bivys, what would be a good tarp design/material/size?

2.In using a bivy, do i need waterPROOF or water resistant? I would like to not take a groundsheet(or just a small one for my gear), so the bottom makes sense to be waterproof.

3.I would like to keep these under 200 each, the 150 range is pushing it.

4.Maybe some reassurance that this is a comfortable to camp, and I probably won't wake up in the middle of the night soaked through =P

Thanks guys!

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

Check out the Mountain Laurel Designs Superlight Bivy. For $185 you get a 7oz bivy with an all net hood, if you want. The large size would fit your pad a bag. It is only water resistant, but paired with a larger tarp, like 7 x 9 or 8 x 10 you should be more than fine. What about a Gossamer Gear Spinntwin or Siltwinn?

Edit: saw your 150 price range. If your normally in warmer weather you could check out the Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy for $130. That would also pair well with a Gossamer Gear Siltwinn for $140.

Also, try stalking the for sale forum and posting WTB ads. I've had nothing but good experiences and definitely saved a ton of money by buying (usually) like-new gear from these forums.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

If you go with a mid style tarp/shelter you can probably skip the bivy all together and just use a ground cloth instead. That would remove some of the cash burden of getting both as well as giving you tent like protection from rain. You will sacrifice the nice open view you get from a tarp but on nice evenings you could roll back the entrance for a little bit of a view. I think your best mid options probably are MLD or Six Moon. There are probably others but these are the only two that come to mind.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I transitioned to a GG SpinnTwinn and MLD Superlight (full net hood) when I decided to forsake the tent. I love it. The SpinnTwinn is large and easy to use. It was a real joy to see around me at night and in the rain. I also thought Superlight provided great bug protection AND felt terrific as a sheet in the heat and humidity of the summer.

Cody Croslow

@graelb

What about the full netting hood in rain? doesn't the water come through? Or do you operate under the assumption that the tarp keeps 99% of the water off your bag/bivy?

Matt Christensen

@mattc

I would also recommend a pyramid shelter. With these you don't need a bivy, and if you get one with netting around the perimeter you don't need to worry about bugs. Check out owareusa.com (no affiliation) for the silnylon mids. I think Oware tarps are every bit as good as MLD and SMD. I then use a Gossamer Gear polycyro ground cloth in it. I have been using pyramid shelters for 30 years now and they have served me well in all weather in all seasons.

My Oware pyramid is 9'X9' with perimeter netting and weighs 26 oz. Sounds heavy but it sleeps four comfortably. Me and my three boys have been using it for years.

Good luck.

Matt

David Ure

@familyguy

"if you get one with netting around the perimeter you don't need to worry about bugs"

Well….certainly not the flying kind.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

zanti

David,
    That's just great. Now I'm going to have to get rid of my MLD speedmid with perimeter netting. I thought I was safe.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

If you want to keep the price cheap with weight reasonable you should check out the Equinox silnylon tarps, available at several places on line. You can get a 8X10 which would allow you to skip the bivy and would cost under $80.
    Jeff

Cody Croslow

@graelb

I'm confused about skipping the bivy. What about an 8×10 tarp means you can skip the bivy?

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

If you haven't seen it yet, lots of good info earlier this month in: Does tarp + bivy actually save all that much over a tent?

Hope this helps
    -Lance

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

When bugs (summer) or heat maximizing (deep of winter) aren't issues, I say skip the bivy with an 8 x 10 tarp. Otherwise, they're value added.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

The bigger the tarp the less you need the blowing rain protection of a bivy. Tarp set up will vary depending on chances of rain. You lower the tarp and you lose headroom for blowing rain. Bug protection is something else, an inner bug screen/tent,tarp tent, or bivy are good options. I have had good luck with bugs of recent, usually just being attacked mornings and evening enough for DEET to handle, otherwise I will bring a tarp tent.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

I think where you hike will have an impact on your choice. Where i am there are few bugs but up in the mountains the wind can be cold and I discovered that a bivy really helped block cold drafts. (It turns out my sleeping bag is prone to drafts.) Also it seldom rains and I can often get by without setting up the tarp if I have a bivy. In rainy lowlands I presume the tarp would be more important and in hot weather the bivy is like a sauna.

PS I have the Noah 12 tarp. It's not ultralight but is otherwise great with lots of tie-outs. I also like the color (much brighter inside than a dark color would be) and that it doesn't really sag.

Re bivy – Get water-resistant rather than proof. Maximum breathablity is crucial. My waterproof REI minimalist condenses a lot and I wouldn't choose to use it without a tarp in the rain. Just think about it by the time you get in it's half full of water anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools