Topic

Food Box

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an entire Rubbermaid box filled with backpacking food. it's HEAVY B/C some of the food is retort pouch seafood and an occasional Spam slice. (It's good fried, diced and mixed with omlette.) True, a full food box is nice in case of a disaster but that hasn't happened in my life and I'm an Old Timer.

Anyway, I really must begin backpacking more and buying food less. My goal is to never have that box get much beyond half full. It will be my barometer of how much I hike.

Anyone else here have a really packed food box?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Anyone else here have a really packed food box?"

I have a bunch of boxes that fill up one closet. #10 cans of f.d. food. Mountain House packages.

I use food out of it as the backpacking season progresses, but then I buy more also. It might come in handy if there is a big earthquake. I could probably feed my neighbors for a month.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We do stock some foodstuffs in bulk, but we cycle through the stock.

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have multiple Rubber maid bins :-D

But yeah, I work through it seasonally so it doesn't go stale or bad.

IMO though I have lived through natural disasters so while you might never need that 'bug out' kit…the one time you do it will be worth whatever it cost you!

I keep my food in the same area as the tubs with all the cooking gear. If need be Kirk knows to grab those main tubs were we to evacuate….

But yeah, nothing wrong with the box – just like any food storage do cycle through it and you won't feel guilty :-)

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I've got myself a little stash box in my gear room packed with all sorts of Hawk Vittles, Packit Gourmet, Mountain House, etc. I've been stockpiling over the winter! Sarah, I actually just received your book in the mail today so I'm looking forward to throwing some homemade FBC meals in there as well! Plus I got a Nesco for Christmas soooo… looks like I've got quite the tasty Spring coming up!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And busy! ;-) Have fun drying!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools