Topic

Colorado Trail to Hayduke???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Colorado Trail to Hayduke???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I haven't looked into this too much… but am wondering how one might connect the Colorado trail and the Hayduke trail. Eastern Hayduke terminus to either end of the Colorado Trail, preferable Denver end. I realize it is WAY east, but is there a way to go up north around the CT without hitting it til near Denver? Maybe connect to the CDT in northern CO? Any notable trails in western/northern Colorado? Dunno where to go for a resource on trail finding/route creating.

I may find myself in Colorado in July, looking for something to do.

-Gabe

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Gabe,

Three or four of us will be on the CT by July 1st doing the entire southern half up to Section 16.

June may be a bit soon unless you have some microspikes for your boots and a self-arrest handle on one walking stick for the snow pack areas.
    HAVE FUN!

BTW, I have the book on theHayduke Trail. It's not for beginners!

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

No biggie… been in the San Juans, and the Sierras in late May, early June, CDT/PCT.
    But I will be there long after this year… more like July.

I am trying to link together some trails to get from where the Hayduke ends at the CO border, hike northeast, hit the CDT, hike south on the CDT, meet the Colorado trail…
    COuld even go north, in the Wasatch, go further north and hit the Oregon or California Trail, then hike south on the CDT.

Just trying my hand at creating my own route.

I want to hike the AZT north, meet up with the Hayduke, take that to CO, hike through CO east, hike south on the CT or CDT, meet up with the Grand Enchantment and meet up with the AZT again. Not this year, but I will likely be in CO in summer, and would be willing to scout it out. I'll probably thru-hike the CT trail in August.

Is there a site that maps out most of the notable long distance trails, like the National Scenic Trail map I got from a National Geographic mag, but with more?

If not, it should exist. Knowing names of trails doesn't help. I want a visual… "Do these lines meet or cross or even come close?" Anyone wanna help? joint project?

Thanks, Gabe

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Take the Paradox Trail (mainly a mountain bike route) from the La Sals to the Tabeguache Trail north of Naturita. Take the Tab south, then improv a bit to get down into the Sneffels region. Hike down into Ouray then up into the mountains, and hit the CT.

The Uncompahgre Plateau is a cool spot.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Here is the data you seek. Go to http://justinlichter.com/

Trauma hiked from Durango, end of CT, to Vegas, using the Hayduke trail.

Benjamin Mayberry
    BPL Member

@benmayberry

Locale: Wetside Cascades

I briefly toyed around with a similar idea while planning a hike earlier this year. It looked like this in Google Earth: Loop

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Four corners loop looks plausible.

I'm seeing some good info here. Seems really tough to go from East Hayduke terminus to east CT terminus… but that is ok.

I want to do AZT, Hayduke, CT, and GET all end to end, and connect them… too tricky. but shorten a couple of them and it looks quite doable. Thanks!
    -Gabe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools