Topic

Equivalent Fabric to DriClime? Bag/Quilt Liner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Equivalent Fabric to DriClime? Bag/Quilt Liner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

I've been charged with a project to make a summer bag with a "brushed" liner… similar to the Marmot DriClime fabric. Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use for this? Basically, they don't want to peel the nylon from their legs if it gets too warm.

Thoughts?

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I have been trying to find the same such material. Silk is the lightest. Can find fleece100 but I think its around 3oz a sqyd. thats about it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nylon tricot? Marmot made a driclime bag at one time, but it was heavier than a light down bag, IIRC.

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

I've seen lightweight fleece, but I didn't think that was what I needed. I probably should have also noted that weight isn't a huge factor. They want a couple's summer "blanket" than could zip up into a roomy bag.

The tricot sounds like a potential option, but without ever seeing/feeling it, not sure if that would compare to the liner on a jacket's collar, for example…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Haven't used Driclime, and there are nylon weaves like Supplex that feel more like cotton than the 1.1 or 1.9 oz riptstop nylon sold for tents and such.

But if you are set against nylon, and want something with a very soft hand (totally not stiff), even a bit fuzzy, there is this fabric in dark olive that I purchased last fall when they had it in sage: "Dark olive green showerproof polyester pertex" from fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk.

http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=980&osCsid=8uoer8lptpuhai61dnt7ho5re3

It weighs around 1.4 oz per sq yd on my scale, is slightly water resistant, is polyester, and costs 3 British pounds per running meter. Haven't used it in the field, so cannot vouch for its durability, but being a polyester, it is likely to be less durable than nylon for a given weight.

There are warnings on the web about this company, and you may have to go through Google to reach their site, all of which may have to do with its use of the trademark "pertex;" however, I ordered from the US and received delivery to my PO Box within a few weeks. Suggest emailing them before ordering to confirm availability and terms.

Quest Outfitters used to have Versatech, a 2.8 oz per sq yd polyester, lighter than 3.4-4 oz Supplex, which they recommended for sleeping bag shells and liners. Might be worth a call or a Google search. They probably still have the heavier Supplex. The people at Quest and OWF, have often been very helpful on the phone.

You might want to order samples before spending enough for several yards/meters.
    You can eMail me at [email protected], and I will send you a sample of the UK fabric by post.

Good Luck.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I'm not even sure that they are willing to sell fabric by the yard but you might send the good folks at Black Rock Gear an email to see if they would make some DryLine available to you.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Noticed that the linings of my lined windshells seem to be that companies wicking baselayer. My Marmot "Driclime" was lined in Dri-clime and my, now discontinued, Patagonia "Alpine Light" windshirt was lined in Capilene.

Trying to get these apparel makers to cough up yards of their proprietary baselayer fabrics might be a challenge.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Also wouldn't any sort of soft brushed nylon or polyester have an inherent wicking property? IIRC, the chemical treatment just enhances the wicking characteristic (think I read it in Jardine's book when he recommended thrift store synthetics for hiking clothes)

Eddie Rivera
    BPL Member

@eddieruko

I dont think its imperative to have DriClime but that's the type of material I'm looking for. I figured it would be pretty difficult to get hands on DriClime. OWF has some microfiber polyester and might pick their brain. If it was me I'd probably go for a taffeta finish but they are lookin for comfort over extreme weight savings.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Most of the quilts I've seen on BPL have been awesome resources but geared for light weight and warmth.

Certainly we can avoid coughing up $80+ for this…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools