Topic

Norlam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Norlam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Anyone know how Norlam compares to Cuben Fiber? Here's a link:

norlam

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I dont know anything about it but at that price its kind of hard not to order. I like a few other things on that site. Might need to put an order together. Would look cool mixed with your new poncho, in case you needed anymore pushing.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Here is a write up on a norlam tarp over at Hammock Forums:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7720

There are also a few threads on BPL about the stuff. It seems that it might be .75oz per sailmakers yard and very noisy. If you do order some please let us know how you make out.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Nathan,

Thanks for the hammock link. There was a lot of good info there.

It is heavier than most people think due to the sailmaker yard confusion. It is real noisy and hard to stuff. It punctures easily. Would make a good greenhouse but not too good for privacy due to the transparency. Doesn't stretch much if at all.

Daryl

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Sailmakers ounces (smoz.) take their measure assuming 36" by 28.5". To convert sailmaker's ounces into ounces per square yard multiply by 1.263

The more you know.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Tyler,

Thanks for the conversion. That's helpful.

I bought some .5 ounce kite nylon a while back and it ended up being 1.25 ounces per (real) square yard. The conversion explains some of the weight difference. I think the rest might be coatings they add to the base material. I'm guessing here.

To compound things there could also be human error involved at all levels, including mine.

Daryl

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Daryl,
    Bought a yard of it to test a while back, and confirmed all of your conclusions.
    Not a good alternative to Cuben, for sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools