Topic

Powermax 170g?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Powermax 170g?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Does anyone know if Coleman is still making the 170g size Powermax canisters? Everywhere I look around here, all of the Powermax canisters are 300g. Nothing wrong with them, but for short single overnight trips the 170g size would be nice.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Anyone? Anyone? :)

HJ

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Locale: SLO County

Jim. I saw some at Culver's Sporting Goods at (760) 872-8361 in Bishop, CA. But that was back in Oct'09. They also had then, fuel canisters for older stoves like a Hank Roberts'.

Bailey

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

It would seem that the best way to get your question answered would be to just call Coleman.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Good answers, both. I'll have to stop in at Culvers.

Thanks,

HJ

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

A distributor that I work with carried both sizes last year, but this year they aren't carrying either. I would highly suggest that you pick up one of the adapters for the stove that allow you to use standard fuel canisters. They aren't light, but if you like the stove, they will ensure continued future use.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=9705-725&categoryid=2005&brand=

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Yeah, I grabbed one of those adapters a while back. Kinda heavy though.

Sports Authority was having a blow out sale on Powermax 300g size canisters recently because they're going to stop carrying them. I picked up a life time supply for $3 bucks a can.

HJ

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Locale: SLO County

Thanks for the tip Jim. My Sports Authority store had them discounted another dollar to <$2.00ea.

Bailey

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

SWEEET. Maybe I should have held off a little longer. lol.

HJ

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I cleaned out the Portland store also for $1.97 a piece No sales tax here either.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

NICE!

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I contacted Coleman by email. It took them awhile to respond, but their response was that they do not make the 170g sized Powermax canisters any longer. :(

HJ

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I've never even seen one. The one and only time it came up last year on gear swap someone was selling both their stove and a cache of those bottles. Theoretically the buyer who was a regular here may still have some. Something now that rare would possibly be worth buying even if empty- better than recycling them with the green key.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools