Topic

2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm not in financial difficulty but I've pretty much purchased willy nilly for the past two years, replacing items big and small at will. I'm considering a moratorium on gear purchases (all gear small, big, and everything in between) to make this fun. If something gets legitimately broken, lost, or corrupted by wizard gnomes, I'll have to be creative about what happens on the trail. (Background: I backpack one or two weekends a month in the mid-Atlantic area, with possible New England and Pacific Northwest trips, and intend to keep the pace up.) Is this worth it? Could I sustain this moratorium the length of 2011? Will it be fun? Let's find out.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, we'll see about that!

Kidding… Yeah, I think we sometimes get carried away with our gear purchases. But so far this year, I've been pretty good. My only purchases were a tent guyline kit and some tent stakes.

Best of luck with your 'gear moratorium'!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Yesterday I caught myself looking at new dry sacks (cuben, of course, for no particular reason), different styles of stoves, and then getting all excited about the new MLD Cricket. None of this is bad, but I have pretty much everything I need. It'll be better to look at my gear for the year and realize I need to make do with what I have.

I realize this is pretty stupid. But, eh, whatever.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

No it is not stupid. I have been doing a similar mental exercise. Trying to pick one kit to use for the this year.Leave all the other gear stored and forget about it. Just change quilt/bag clothing and sleep pad for winter. Almost got it dialed in. Starting to think I have gear ADD :0
    Will see what happens.

Jim

Jeremy W

@sockpuppet

Locale: High Desert

My wife would certainly approve of your plan. Of course, I'm not going to tell her about it because it might give her an ugly idea!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"My wife would certainly approve of your plan. Of course, I'm not going to tell her about it because it might give her an ugly idea!"

It is about the re-distribution of family income. Does the money go to the Imelda Maros shoe collection/slightly used appliance collection OR the BP gear shelf. Prioritize!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

I announced my spur of the moment moratorium to my wife while she was in the shower and got instant points for the unexpected and unanticipated pledge. But then I realized, what I am going to do with "points" if I'm not planning on buying something else?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"But then I realized, what I am going to do with "points" if I'm not planning on buying something else?"

You obviously haven't been married very long…….

seth t

@diggity

oo

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Keep those points salted away, you just never know.

In the meantime, a handy mantra: Must not watch sales; must not watch sales; must not watch sales…"

That is my typical weak spot.

Much luck!

Rick

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I must admit that it kills me to pass on a good deal. I seem to go through a "binge/ purge" cycle and often fall in love with equipment on paper and then either change my mind or find it didn't quite meet my needs or expectations. Try as I may, I can't seem to get the "just one of each item" that works all year long.

I have settled on pretty much two of everything – two packs, two shelters, two quilts, etc. to get me through the 4 seasons.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Wife got points in the shower? :)

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

You could ask Ken Salazar to help you out.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Evan, what are you, "Un-American"?? You were born in the U S of A and BORN TO CONSUME. C'mon guy, do you mean to say you're not even going to get ONE little cottage industry item?? What about their famlilies? Are you going to deny their children a birthday party at Chuckie Cheeze?

Evan m'boy, at least buy some "dual purpose" clothes. Get some Rail Riders on the pretext that they will make great "casual slacks".

Look, if you stop buying backpacking gear you'll get out of practice in rationalizing. That could have dire consequences in the future when you DO go back to gear buying. You'll find that 7th stove that you really "need" and won't be able to rationalize buying it. It will become one more missed purchase that will retard our nation's economic recovery.

BE A PATRIOT. BUY, BUY, BUY!

Disclosure:
    Since reading this a few days ago I also went on a gear buying moratorium… until yesterday when I ordered a CALDERA CONE Sidewinder stove and pot with the Inferno wood burning kit.

AT LAST, I've conquored my will power!

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

Sigh, our economy needs the business. Since Evan is out I'll have to increase my spending to help save all those small business jobs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

That's very noble of you, Robert. America thanks you. Oh, and China too. :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Good idea Evan.
    I do that several times a year.
    Works for me.
    Franco

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Being that I am a good American I have helped support the economy!

I bought this not long ago:
    Photobucket

And I bought a new bike trailer last weekend. It is my American duty to keep Costco in business afterall!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sarah,

So where did you buy the child at? :)

-Tony

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The husband said he was really expensive. One of a kind! The hospital said no refunds.

;-)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I was doing pretty good until the Golite Web sale!

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Couldn't do it. Especially when Golite as 70% off. A Jam for $50!!!!!! Can't beat that.

GOOLLLLIIITTEEE!! (while angrily shaking fist into the air)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've been on a moratorium. I think. Well, for major purchases anyway, did have to get some Reed pants from GoLite.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

An alternative to a moratorium is to BUDGET using a weekly, monthly, or any other time period you want, eg by paydays. For example, if every other Friday is payday then you budget maybe $20 for gear.

If you don't spend it then you'll have $40 on the next payday for gear, etc. The longer you wait, the more you have in your gear budget. Mosts gear goes on sale now and then. Wait. Don't be impulsive.

Don't get suckered into buying gear you don't need with a credit card when you won't be able to pay off the balance when your statement arrives. Unless of course you want to enrich the credit card lenders. Your choice.

The big ones like GoLite and the small cottage industry will survive without you buying things you don't need. From what I've seen on the trails, there are plenty of backpackers that have not made their first light gear purchases yet. Let the marketing get those that really need the gear buy it. Not those that already have what they need. Again, your choice. Your hard earned dollars.

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

An alternative that'd be worth considering: instead of purchasing new gear, limit yourself to MYOG projects. Overall it'd be cheaper, more gratifying, and skill-building, as well as giving you something to do other than watching the Gear Swap!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools