Topic

Primaloft 133g/m2 for only 375g?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Primaloft 133g/m2 for only 375g?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

Recently I asked a westcomb rep about Primaloft Sport rating of Westcomb Himalaya Hoody. He said the product development team told him that it is 133g/m2 (sorry for imperial users)… is it possible for such high rating in a 375g package??? I don't believe him so I asked him to confirm about that again, and he assured me that it's true. Am I supposed to believe him? Sounds too good to be true…

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ismail,

I don't believe him. A quick back of the envelope calculation is that a garment with the specs you provided in your post would take about 3 yds of insulation and 6 yds of fabric + misc notions. 133 g/m2 = 3.9 oz/yd2 and the lightest possible quantum is .7 oz/yd2. So 3*3.9+6*.7=15.9 oz plus the zipper, cordage, etc. =~17 oz or 482g.

michael willkie

@mdwillkie

I looked at the himalaya from last year when it had 170 grams of P1 and the xl weighed in at
    32 oz. I bought the recon model which also has 170 grams and right at 32 oz. Not sure how the
    current model could be 13 oz??
    Dan

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Finisterre in the UK make similar claims also.
    I found the figures a bit dubious also.

I did come across another jacket lately where it turned out that fill weight they gave was for both the front and back layers of the jacket.

The fact they said the jacket had 350g of synthetic fill sounded the alarm bells.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!