Topic

Dogs and Poison Oak…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Now that I've got me a new puppy…

(People kept looking at me funny on this recent backpacking trip. I'm sure it was only little dog's pink jacket…)

Anyhow, out running with her today and she charges headlong into poison oak. Not too bad, not rolling around in it or anything, but she was in it…

I don't really get poison oak, at least not bad enough to be very noticeable.

What about the puppy?
    What about bringing her home to my wife and kids?

Should I be worrying about bathing her right now?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Should I be worrying about bathing her right now?"

From the picture I'd say you're concerned about the wrong sentient being getting bathed…… ;-)

Most pups are pretty resistant to both poison oak and poison ivy, but they can certainly pass the oils that cause the rash from their coat to your (or your family's) skin, so you might want to give her a quick bath for that reason alone.

Do watch your pup for red inflamed skin, itchiness, or raised bumps or swelling on the skin, which would mean she's having a reaction herself. If you see any, take her to the vet.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools