Topic

Evernew non-stick pots, experiences?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Evernew non-stick pots, experiences?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Claudio Zanoni
    BPL Member

@zachiator

Hi there,

I am currently using a MSR alpine classic 1.5&2l pot, stainless steel, full weight (incl. handler) 602g

what I am looking for:
    – reduce weight & bulk…
    – still be able to prepare decent, fresh food (incl. frying)

I am looking at the everynew 1.3l/0.9l pot with frying lid, non-stick or without…

Can you fry steaks and fish on these ti-pots with non-stick coating? What size do you recommend? 1-2 person cooking….

Cheers,
    Claudio

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I used to have an Evernew nonstick pot. But then I realized that I ate three quarters of the coating. Kid you not. I "self sumped" my dish water for a few months, in effect assuring that everything that left the pot was eaten. The coating that was slowly wearing off. I ate the coating. REI was nice enough to let me exchange my pot for an uncoated one. Neither are good for pan frying.

Save your health. Don't buy non stick.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got the non-stick Evernew 1.3 and I wouldn't recommend frying with it. It might be possible, but it's not going to fry well. Stuff still sticks pretty easily. On hind site I would have gone with the lighter non-non-stick pot since I very rarely fry after one or two initial bad experiences.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Titanium sucks for frying, coated or not. Stay with non-stick aluminum if you want to fry something.

Will Webster

@willweb

I've been using the 0.9L Evernew non-stick, but mostly just to boil water for FBC. On a recent outing I "cooked" dinner in the pot and despite vigorous stirring around the edges managed to scorch some food to the pot in the middle. Haven't noticed any loss of the ceramic coating. In the frontcountry I'm a firm believer in heavy cookware, and if I wanted to saute in the backcountry I think I'd carry a fairly substantial Al pan and deal with the weight.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

I take my Primus pots/pans when I want to go gourmet(frying/making dishes from scratch). ETA multifuel for my family of 5 or ETA express for my son and myself. They have a good non stick surface. Eggs, bacon, veggies, and fish are quick to cook and easy to clean in the pan tops of both models. But you will incur a weight penalty for the luxury.

When I solo I take Ti to basically boil water for rehydrating and hot chocolate.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've used a selection of both Ti non-stick and anodized Al pots and pans for frying. The MSR Duralite anodized Al pans are not very much heavier than similar Ti pans, but the duralite pans are far better for frying. I've used them now for months straight on extended trips, cooking for three people, multiple meals per day car camping and backpacking, and have yet to see any deterioration to the surface. I can cook things like hash brown potatoes or chicken stir frys and easily wipe the surface clean at the end. Real bacon cooks with ease, and I can fry other foods in the fat produced. With Ti pans, even with pretty careful control of the heat from a canister stove, I fairly frequently find that I missed stirring something and a hot spot developed which caused some sticking. Even with a fairly high flame that I use for stir frying, I have not had issues with hot spots developing on the duralite pans.
    Jim

John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

As compared to the non-stick pots the uncoated ones are:

1. Lighter.

2. Cheaper.

3. Less likely to kill you.

If you're ever planning to move to freezer bag meals (i.e., using your pot only to heat water) there's absolutely no benefit to having a non-stick coating.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I'm in the aluminum non-stick crowd. Al distributes the heat noticeably better than Ti and so far the non-stick coating has held up well; to be fair though I haven't kept track of how many meals have been prepared on it.

I can't recall the brand of pan I have, it's the perfect size though for the small flour tortillas… awesome for scrambling eggs, steaming the tortillas and having some tasty breakfast burritos! I've also made Sarah's Pizza Pan Biscuits on it… this type of stuff is next to impossible with Ti (unless you're ok with having a mix of partially-cooked and burned food) :)

Luxury item for me, most of the time I enjoy cooking.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Claudio,

I use uncoated Ti pans and like everybody says, they're tough to cook on because titanium conducts heat about an order of magnitude worse than aluminum. And let me add, stainless ain't much better!

Frying is a challenge and to that challenge my weapon is oil. Heat pan (takes seconds, add oil and add food before the oil heats up. Fry at will with no burning or sticking. I carry a lot of oil and use quite a bit–a very thin coating isn't enough.

The other Ti challenge is simmering, which requires constant stirring to prevent burning. I don't know of a workaround.

I do own coated aluminum pans that work great but prefer to carry Ti, which is somewhat lighter and far stronger.

cheers,

Rick

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Add oil, wait for it to get hot (start smoking) crack egg.

Egg in TI pan

Clean up?What is left...

(No live animals were harmed while performing these tests)

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

"(start smoking) crack"

…taken from the pages of Charlie Sheen's hiking log

:)

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

What about carrying the one egg wonder skillet by T-Fal? If you're hard up to fry then take something purpose built.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools