Topic

24 Hrs in the Smokies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 24 Hrs in the Smokies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

A mid January one night gettaway to the Smoky Mountains.

Heading up the West Prong Trail around Fodderstack Mountain.

Smokies Snow 1

Upon hitting the Bote Mountain Trail the snow thickens.

Smokies snow 2

And the trail begins to enter the cloud layer.

Smokies Snow 3

The world becomes white.

Snokies Snow 4

At the top of the ridge I climb out of the clouds and onto the AT.

Smokies Snow 5

And walk just a short distance more to the Spence Field shelter.

Smokies Snow 6

The sunset bursts through the ice coated trees.

Smokies Snow 7

And the fireplace whiles away the evening.

Smokies Snow 8

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Andrew- Awesome, thanks for sharing. Those of us stuck inside really appreciate the moment.
    Also, how did you size your picture to fit so slick?

DA

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

HI Mark here I met you south of lower jean lake late last summer in the wind river range Thanks for honerable mention in that trip report. You made a nice trip out there and I enjoyed your report looks like we stayed about the same place at upper cook also. How was it getting over that pass? I will have to get that guide book you have. Of the four books I have nobody mentions crossing there but the topo looks very doable. You need that lady to cluck at you about getting you boots to close to the fire but glad to see you got out for a overnighter. take care and hope to see a lot more trip reports from you. Mark

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Pretty cool with the three different climates…before clouds, in the clouds and on top of the clouds. The view at Spence Field is very cool too. I have only been there in the summer with a bunch of leaves so I couldn't see too much. Thanks for sharing. Did you have the shelter to yourself?

This is just up the ridge from Spence Field this past August not long after the morning sun crested over the mountains:
    abovespence

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

Thanks guys.

David, the pictures are just as I downloaded them, I wouldn't know how to size them if I wanted too, I'm not cool like that:)

Mark, I certainly remember meeting you nice to hear from you again. After making camp and eating at Upper Jean I strolled back down the lake in the twilight to see if you had camped anywhere nearby but you must have made some more miles. I assume you mean Cook Pass? It is very doable, the west side is a short, steep but non technical scramble up a grassy ramp. It is reasonably obvious from the bottom. From the top you bear north east over a fairly long and not too steep talus/snow field to the unnamed lakes which you can see in the distance after a couple of hundred yards of making the crest. I imagine the east to west route finding might be a little trickier.

Trevor, yes there are some very nice views around there and I did have the shelter to myself, had the whole trail to myself actually except for a couple dayhikers by the trailhead.

Thanks Brad, we need to organise a Cohutta group trip sometime here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools