Topic

Foot Growth Measurement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Foot Growth Measurement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I read about foot growth during long distance hikes.

Has anyone measured the width and length of their feet during the year or before and after a long hike? Quantitative data, instead of my boots got tight, would be useful to people purchasing shoes, especially if they have not been out for a while.

We are pretty much a three season hikers, so we starting the season with foot size measurements and see what happens during the year. I will try to remember to post a graph.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

sorry nothing to add a couple of additional questions- is the foot growth permanent? does multiple thru hikes make your foot bigger and bigger- or does one do the trick and then it stays that size?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Has anyone measured the width and length of their feet during the year or before and after a long hike?

I think quite a few people have noticed that they have gone up 1/2 to 1 full size (or more) and at least one width (eg D to E or 2E etc) under these conditions. My wife and I have both gone from 8 or 9 EE to 10 4E over the last few years – and we are over 60. Not a 'growing up' thing by any means.

And yes, it is permanent. Whether it stops after one spurt – who knows?

Cheers

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I think it's a great idea to measure (accurately) beforehand and check periodically. Catch is, my sense from talking with a lot of folks about this is that not everyone experiences this the same way.

Lots of theories (about mechanics of this, lots of rules of thumb, but I've never heard of anyone doing a specific and objective study.

Part of it might be that folks just get used to walking in different types and sizes of shoe. I am (or at least was) nominally a size 10 or so, but ever since my first thru-hike I just always wear size 11.5 shoes, whether at home or on trail. It's not that my feet have grown to be "size 11.5" — I think they have grown (permanently grown) a bit, but definitely not that much. I just like having that much space in my shoes now.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

My hunch–and it's just that–is extended hiking accelerates the general aging process of falling arches. And when arches fall, feet get longer–this is how I've "progressed" from 10.5 to 11.5. I don't think that's the only thing occurring with thru-hikers, however. There may be semi-permanent swelling as well.

I can't recall the last time I was in a store that sells shoes (as compared to a shoe store, which has become a rare species) that has shoe measuring thingies (which they all did when I was a kid). It usually goes like this: 1. look at shoe display. 2. Select models of interest. 3.a. Have salesperson fetch a pair of each in my usual size from "the back" or 3.b. Fetch pairs of interest myself off the racks. 4. Try on each for fit, inevitably adjusting size of certain models up and others, down because sizing is wildly non-standardized. 5. Rinse and repeat until selecting something. 6. Discover I've killed 90 minutes and vow to never again go shoe shopping.

Cheers,

Rick

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Rick

> extended hiking accelerates the general aging process of falling arches.

Problem there. I'm 65 (done a bit of aging), and my arches have definitely NOT fallen. I guess my feet grew in length a bit, but they also got wider. General bone and tendon growth due to extended use?

Mind you, I do think it varies a bit (a lot) between people.

cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Here is an animated image of the change in one man's foot after taking up barefoot running. I believe the change is similar for people who take up long distance hiking. Most people wear shoes that are way too small normally. When long distance hiking you simply cannot go a long way and put up with small shoes. So you end up purchasing shoes that fit better which lets your foot expand as shown in this animation which then results in bigger feet. This is similar to what happened to me.

It's a really long link so copy and paste.

http://huaraches.googlegroups.com/web/LucBefore-AfterTransitioning.gif?gda=cGFdw1IAAAB3Kshz3zv3IPXa_rKJiwRvyAP3mSB5HLIIo9mjkoqFiPA82xR6aS-9yc4EfJK8mbWorDqcvLfqF8CluSDsp-ixVeLt2muIgCMmECKmxvZ2j4IeqPHHCwbz-gobneSjMyE

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Roger – are you indicating that as we age more than just our ears and nose get larger? Nice to know.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I've heard from some dancer friends that they have the reverse situation. Doing lots of pointe, etc., strengthens the muscles under their arches effectively making their foot sizes shrink, whereas their feet have "grown" when they've taken time off from dancing.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Have a couple kids and be female. Your feet change for life with each one.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Eugene

> are you indicating that as we age more than just our ears and nose get larger?
    Ahhhh…..
    Yes.

Cheers

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

It doesn't just happen on long distance hikes. Going from pretty sedentary to walking on a treadmill weekly and hiking at least 4 times a month, my feet grew in size–I used to be an 8.5, now I wear 9.5. I attributed it to becoming more muscular, as my feet were getting used a lot more than they had been.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools