Topic

Trip with Kids….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trip with Kids….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Ok, any other parents out there want to get your kids out there with polite, well mannered kids? I'm tentatively thinking of taking a trip to Yosemite / Sierras . I've never been and I'm a UL rookie so, anyone with kids wanting to maybe take an early August trip, send me a PM. I'd be taking a healthy 9 year old and 8 year old. We've done a number of so-cal trips but I really want to get them out there………..

Let me know if any of you have a similar goal.

Ed

kevin smith

@divr6347

edward

i might be interrested in going in august along with my 6 yr old boy

i think the sierras would be the better choice that late in the summer only because

yosemite at that time of year can be very hot and really buggy with lots of skeeters out there around that time of year not a good time for youngsters

just my opinion though im sure we could come up with a great destination by then

will pm you as it gets closer

kevin

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Just wanted to say that I had a good time hiking and talking with you and R at Coe. He did a great job. It would be nice to have a more family/kid oriented gathering sometime.

Mine are still a little young to get out there, but we're working on it. We've taken them out "backpacking" to China Camp which was a nice intro for them. They ask about it all the time now :) I look forward to the day that we can do some family hikes / BPL meet up's.

Sorry for the thread jack, but free bump for ya!

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I may also be interested, depending on when and where. Took my daughter on the recent BPL outing and she loved it.

kevin smith

@divr6347

hey jacob
    thanks for the kind words my son is a trooper he just loves to be camping with dad

come snow rain or other bad weather he doesn t mind as long as he is camping

it was great to meet and hike some of the trail with you i hope wedidn t slow you down any as we were a little slow due to my sons short legs lol your kids will be old enough to go with you before you know it i started mine when he was 5 and now i can t leave home without him just hang in there and it will come around for you

rick
    it was nice to meet you and your daughter and chat at the henry coe trip im glad she had a good time it was pretty chilly at night but everyone seemed to dofine other than my hmm hmm brother who thought everyone in the camp needed to know he was shivering in the middle of the night lol he was fine he just made a big deal of it
    so when we got home he told me hewas never going camping with me again but whatever

hopefully we will see you guys on some other trips in the future its always nice to hike with other parents/kids
    talkto everyone soon
    kevin

kevin smith

@divr6347

http://kevingong.com/Hiking/200508WeaverLake.html

here is one good option for a kids hike its 4.5 miles round trip and a very nice hike for kids if more milage is needed a day hike to jennie lakes would not be out of reach there are no permits or bear canisters required and there are plenty of
    campsites at this lake plus its full of goldens if you bring a rod i have been here with my son and we had a great time elevation is 8900 ft i believe
    so we can still have a fire at night

just one option im sure there are others to consider also i just need to do some research on it

kevin

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Even though this is Yosemite and someone mentioned it might be hot and buggy, this is a trip I thought my daughter might enjoy: Youngs Lake, Tuolumne Meadows Area.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22196

kevin smith

@divr6347

hey guys

please do not get me wrong from my other post about yosemite i am totally not against doing a hike with kids there i was just suggesting that it can be hot and bugs can be bad at that time of year but if everyones up for it so am i

FEAR NO BUGS !! LOL

kevin

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

Wow, Kevin, that trip sounds great!

I was thinking of heading to that Gem lake area I read about here. But now, I'll have to look at that one more closely!
    I have a small 12 yo girl and an 8 yo girl and I'm always looking for good spots.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I camped two nights at Weaver Lake last summer and it was rather lovely; the fishing is pretty good, too. My girlfriend and I will be going sometime this Spring so I second the suggestion.
    If you want to extend the hike a bit, you can leave from Big Meadows camp ground (if I remember correctly) which puts Weaver Lake a bit over 3 miles out.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Any thoughts / Plans?
    (Keeping the thread a live)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools