Topic

2011 SUL Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2011 SUL Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Regarding the hair elastics for the neoair:

Why use anything? I simply (and carefully) place my rolled up pad in my pack – never had an issue. Once I wrapped mine in my windshirt on warm day since I knew I wouldn't be wearing it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Todd, Great point by just packing it in your pack –but gosh that Neoair is a expansive and somewhat fragile piece of gear that is worth IMO keeping well protected. Where do you pack it in your pack?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Neoair is a expansive and somewhat fragile piece of gear that is worth IMO keeping well protected. Where do you pack it in your pack?"

I also just roll it up and pack it in the pack (and I also use the large Neoair). But I don't have very much in my pack that could damage it. Usually my quilt goes in first, food along the back. Neoair is usually somewhere near the back/bottom. I keep the cooking stuff near the top, and that's the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, that might do any damage to it. While my shelter may or may not be in the pack, the stakes are always in a side pocket outside the pack.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I like using the bands because its convenient, keeps the pad from unrolling before I want it to, and it weighs practically nothing. I could see not bothering with it though.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Jay-

Have you looked at the SMD Swift? It's just a hair smaller than the Ark, with a little longer torso. My 2010 was just under 18oz stock, but 16.7oz with a little hacking. Great little pack.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jay,

My placement of the Neo is similar to Doug's. It goes next to my quilt in the bottom of the pack. I am careful to pack so the valve is not bent/twisted by the quilt or other object (or back panel, for that matter) – this was my biggest concern. If there is extra room I'll pack a pair of socks next to it as well to inhibit movement.

The rest of my gear goes on top. No issues so far.

Todd

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I've beaten the shyt out of my Neoair for two years now with little thought to placement in pack and on the ground and it still works perfectly.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Thanks Bradford, The SMD swift looks like a great pack–Just what I have been looking for.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools