Topic

I know it is heavy but…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition I know it is heavy but…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

I just got a Backpacker Oven and I'm really excited to try it. Heading up to an igloo camp this weekend and I'll be able to give it a good test. I figured since I'll be pulling a pulk, 30 extra oz's and a slightly heavier stove would be negligible for the added satisfaction of our meals.

The menu will be pizza's, banana bread and chocolate chip cookies. I'm also considering lasagna and maybe some brats and sauerkraut.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Any favorite things to bake?

Mike

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I know that Sarah (sarbar) uses one and has featured it on her website (trailcooking.com) as well as on some youtube videos.

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

I checked out her site but couldn't find anything in the search feature. Maybe she will chime in. I can look at youtube tomorrow when I'm board at work now!

Mike

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Sorry, should have looked first; it's a homemade "Faux Baker." She has recipes listed, though.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

might want to make your title more descriptive…

I've used them many times. I really enjoy them.

I'd advise against trying to bake three courses on the same meal though. It's definitely slower than the boil water, one pot meals. Plus, when winter camping, easy, fast and hot are nice. Pizza is not that.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sure, they can be fun! But I would agree….don't do everything with it. Are you using a Bemco style one or other?

My thoughts: do plan on making fun stuff in the oven but also have things you can do in a large pot on a stove – the brats for example you could pan fry while you are baking the other item.

And sure you could bake the banana bread there but I'd be more likely to bake up banana cupcakes the night before and pack those in. The fattier they are, the less likely to freeze while you travel.

I'd also say that I have made pizza successfully in a 2L wide/shallow non-stick pot with a lid and with a heat diffuser underneath. An oven does make it crispier though.

Just my thoughts!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Wrong backcountry cooking lady… it was my site that featured it… heavy, but good product.

Backpacker Oven

There are many ways to bake on the trail. The Outback Oven is one of my favs and this one is really great too.

What kinds of recipes are you looking for? Sweet? Savoury? Both?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

These were done in an Outback Oven but the BP Oven works much the same way…

silicone muffin cups in use

Chai Tea Breakfast Cake

inside of the muffins

Cinnamon Buns

Pizza Mmm

Dots

Mouth watering yet?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You just knocked me off my diet.

–B.G.–

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

sorry…

Here… does this help get you back on track?another slaw

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

What is it?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

red and green cabbage coleslaw with chicken… lol

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Is your recipe posted somewhere for this dish? also what are the pecan covered pastry things above called? Are they baked in a muffin pan?
    thanks, I am taking my kids on their first hike next week. the cole slaw is for me, the pastries would be for them.
    thanks

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Amazing looking food Laurie!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

When's the new book coming out!?

Pepe LP
    BPL Member

@pepelp

Locale: New Mexico

"I am taking my kids on their first hike next week. the cole slaw is for me, the pastries would be for them."

You have this backwards. Sacrifice yourself and save them from the horrible pastries. Make them eat the healthy nutritious cabbage. Remember "It's for the children."

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Very cool, thanks for the idea's. I did get the Bemco oven. I'll try it out this weekend, but my over-nigher just got canceled. Best new toy week ever! I got a the Oven, a 2 new stoves for the oven and I just bought a Jeep to go along with the oven. I was supposed to be packed and ready to hit the road 4 hours from now (but I just got home from paying too much).

Anyway, I think I'll play around with it all weekend now that I'll stay close to home. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Mike

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sounds like the weekend for Jeep-camping :-D Just sayin'!

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Oil the pans… That is an important step not to be forgotten. But the unit held temp really nicely. I like this much better than steam baking. Banana bread in the morning, can't wait.

Mike

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Brent…

This one with the pecans doesn't really have a name. A basic yeast dough was buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon, a mixture of brown and maple sugar, and pecans. Baked for about 12 minutes (Upper Bake in the OOven) so maybe 375°F to 400°F in the Bemco. Send me a private message with your email address and I can send you a bunch of recipes.

Jack… thanks. Food adds to the experience in my opinion (did I say that already? lol)

Douglas… the first book has been out quite a few years now and the second should be on shelves by May 15th. It goes to print this week I think (just as soon as I pick an author photo for the blurb in the back – bleh).

Pepe… our boy eats very healthy at home and on the trail. He's also very active so the odd treat on a wilderness trip is well-deserved and because he's so active he needs some extra calories especially because he has very little body fat. Not like an adult who could handle a deficit. That said, kids need good nutrition too.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Parchment paper is really helpful for that Mike. Also it makes clean-up a breeze.

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Great idea on the paper!!!

Did banana bread this morning. Oiled the pan, just not enough and had some slight sticking. But again it worked really well. I left my canister outside last night (it was cold) to see how well my new remote inverted canister stove worked and it was amazing. Up to 400 F in less than 3 minutes on the lowest flame I could manage, another minute to dial in the cooking temp and the bread was in the oven. The temp held steady for 10 minutes, then I checked the bread and had some slight temp flux, but by the end of that the bread was done.

I'm really glad I tried this out at home, I would have hated testing it when I didn't have a fall back. This will make every winter pulk trip I have, and maybe some summer trips if there are enough folks in the group to help distribute the weight.

The next thing I need to test is the fuel efficiency of the oven, how long will the canister last is a good thing to know.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools