Topic

Tent Comparison: Tarptent Squall 2 and Six Moon Designs Europa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tent Comparison: Tarptent Squall 2 and Six Moon Designs Europa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I think your comparision is great. I have had an opportunity to use both shelters in the last year and think you accurately captured the spirit of these two shelters. The one place my experience is slightly different is when it comes to condensation resistance. I agree that if the weather is such that you can leave the vestibute open on the Europa but need to close it on Squall2, that the Europa is much better. But when the vestibule can be open on both I found condensation to be the same in practice, even though there is more mesh in the Europa.

I can certainly understand why the Europa is given a slight nod as the best general purpose shelter. I have found that the Squall2 is slightly better for me due to it’s superior pitching. This works out in two ways. I often see more extreme conditions, especially high winds where the Squall2 is a better performer. Second, I am regularly loaning my Squall2 to people I am introducing to light-weight backpacking. The Squall2’s easier setup helps win them over.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Just wanted to note that the Squall 2 (including stakes) is $225 and the Europa (not including stakes) is $290. You can’t find that information in the article although it is listed in each of the individual reviews.

-H

Alan Dixon
    Spectator

@alandixon

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Henry Shires of Tarptent makes an excellent point. The Squall 2 definitely gets a nod for value. The Squall 2 is less expensive than the Europa for a similar tent. The Squall 2 includes four Easton tubular stakes while the Europa comes without stakes.

$225 = Tarptent Squall 2
    $298 = Six Moon Designs Europa $290 + (4) Easton sakes $8

Comparing similar packages, the Europa is $73 or 32% more than the Squall 2. As such, the Squall 2 is an excellent value for a high performance ultralight shelter. We apologize for not mentioning this in the comparison.

-Alan Dixon
    (Backpacking Light Staff)

Shane Perry

@rymnel

In response to the taller hiker issue. I’m 6’7″ and have no problem with length in the Squall. Perhaps the argument is that one needs room for proper gear storage inside the tent. I have not found this to be a problem as I place my gear to the right and left at the wider end of the tent. It seems to me that the additional length would be an unneccesary weight addition. Just my 2 cents.

Shane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools