Topic

Zinc Oxide Ointment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Zinc Oxide Ointment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I'm considering adding this stuff to my kit. I picked up the Fougera brand from the pharmacist at Target. They store it behind the counter for some reason.

I happen to trust the Fougera brand because there is another cream of theirs I have been using for years.

Review:

http://www.amazon.com/Zinc-Oxide-Diaper-Ointment-Fougera/dp/B000GCL2D6

There is no added fragrance to this brand.

Do you think it could be used on our feet to prevent maceration? If so, do you think it would be best to apply it in the morning or at night?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

REI carried it at one time in quarter size tins. Comes scented or not.

The best thing for your nose and lower lip when traveling on a glacier in July.

Here is a maker.

http://www.mehron.com/Clown_White_Makeup_p/130.htm

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Different zinc oxide ointment formulas have different ingredients and properties. Read the labels.

Zinc oxide sunscreens are usually 20% zinc oxide or more. Anything substantially less might require lots more for the same protection.

Read all the other ingredients, and make sure you like what you see. The simplest ointments have just zinc oxide and a base like petroleum jelly, mineral oil, vegetable oil, beeswax, or mixtures of those.

Some people are concerned about zinc oxide nanoparticles used in the "clear" formulas. You can get zinc oxide ointments and sunscreens without nanoparticles, that goes on white and clears up with some rubbing.

For a very thorough review of nanoparticle zinc oxide health and environmental effects:
    http://www.ewg.org/nanotechnology-sunscreens

I use Badger SPF 35 Sport Sunscreen, which is zinc oxide (without nanoparticles) in vegetable oils and beeswax. My wife won't touch it, because it clogs her pores.

I've learned a lot of other uses for my sunscreen from this thread!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Re: Plain Zinc Oxide Ointment,

I tend to use a lot of this when I'm kayaking. Sun reflecting on open water can really cause a sunburn in no time, even in overcast winter weather.
    It does give you that blotchy white look when applied heavily and not thoroughly rubbed in, but I don't care.

I don't use it much for sun protection where I hike, the North East US is mostly a green tunnel. Maybe a little on the nose.
    I did use it a lot hiking in UT, AZ, NM last spring. No shade on those hikes.

I also find I use it a lot in windy weather for wind burn, especially on the lips and hands.

I've used it a few times for hiker rash.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

What I'm really curious about if it it could be used on our feet as a moisture barrier to prevent maceration. The pharmacist I spoke to didn't seem to have the time of day for me, but she did briefly suggest that it is used to prevent diaper rashes, therefore, it could be used to prevent maceration.

Using it on our feet would make it a great multi-use tool.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Donna,

Thanks for the info. I ordered some of the Equate from Walmart.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey folks,

It's pretty easy to make your own Zinc Oxide Ointments, and for a heck of a lot cheaper. I somewhat recently bought a lb of micro Zinc Oxide for about 8 dollars. Micro meaning small enough particles to rub in clear, but not technically nano and less chance of possibly getting into the blood stream. Anyways, as i look like a "stereotypical" Scot (reddish beard and all), i burn very easy. That lb of Zinc will last quite a long time and make a lot of sunscreen.

Re: the nano and possible health issues, what i rarely see mentioned is the possible importance of the carrier medium. If the Zinc gets suspended in a heavier and larger moleculed type oil or cream, it's less likely to penetrate through the deeper layers of the skin because the carrier medium itself is going to more or less sit on top of the skin or first couple of layers.

In other words, DON'T put micro or especially nano Zinc particles in carrier oils like Emu, Macadamia, or Jojoba oils because these are deeply penetrating oils that can get very deep into the skin.

Btw, for sunscreen, i mix the Zinc into Sesame and Shea Butter since these also have some minor sun protecting properties.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools