Topic

Climbing Machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Climbing Machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Taking light and fast to new heights!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That is fricking amazing! Wow.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Seeing someone push the envelope is incredibly cool and motivates me to get off my lazy butt and find my limits. Thanks for the post Kat. Are all the swiss mountain goats?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

He is incredible! Mountain Goats….are you saying that because you know that is my user name on another forum???
    Kidding aside, you do see people in their seventies, bowed legs, not even trying to work out, just hiking up the steepest stairs, just to check on a goat, or look at the flowers….
    I have known about Ueli Steck for a few years, and now a reel of him is part of the Banff Film Festival, which I will be going to see tomorrow night.
    Ueli climbed the Eiger in 2 hrs, 47 minutes, with half a liter of water, an energy bar and three energy powders.

David Ure

@familyguy

Which route on the Eiger? There are several. A few of which would make his type of climbing impossible.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ueli steck and alex honnold are sick puppays …

alex soloing half down 2000 ft with no rope … one mistake and youre a pancake breakfast for the bears …

http://vimeo.com/11687754

edit … david, he did the original 1938 Heckmair Route …

as to goats …

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The North Face

And if you understand Swiss and German

Edited. Sorry my answer missed your question

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Heckmair route I believe. (Eric beat me to it:) It really is incredible what certain individuals can achieve.

I have just finished reading Joe Simpson's book The Beckoning Silence, which describes one of the early attempts on the North Face by Andreas Hinterstoisser, Toni Kurz, Willy Angerer and Edi Rainer. The contrast between this and Steck's climb couldn't be starker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Don't these guys have Moms?!

There's a good movie from a couple of years ago about the Kurz/Angerer attempt on the north face of Eiger called "North Face/Norwand".

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Unreal! Did I see him running along a knife edge with a pack full of gear!?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

You got me fired up Katarina! That guy moves like a mountain goat.

David Ure

@familyguy

Its all CGI, obviously.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

CGI? You are joking, obviously.

David Ure

@familyguy

;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"CGI? You are joking, obviously."

No no, he meant it. CGI – this Climbing Guy's Incredible…..

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

eugene …. in crampons no less

ueli … "swiss mountaineeing is very traditional … you cant run in crampons thats a big no no …" or something like that

next thing you know ueli is running at the top of the eiger in crampons

the mental control these people have is sheer sickness … knowing that one wrong move means death

David Ure

@familyguy

I just threw up. In my mouth.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I watched this movie at the Banff Mtn Film Festival tour here in Santa Barbara last week. This guy is amazing. I can't believe the amounts of physical and mental strength it takes to travel that fast through that kind of terrain. Talk about stamina!

Just about equally impressive was another film about a free solo climber whose taken to climbing with a base jumping rig so that when/if he falls during one of his climbs, he pulls the cord and turns, what would have been a fatal mistake, into a parachute descent.

It amazing to see how folks are pushing the different disciplines of climbing farther and farther every year.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Amazing. Simply amazing!

Thanks for the post.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Amazing… and lucky! I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but to me it looks like he takes a LOT of risks. At that pace, I can't believe he's choosing his route or footings with the same diligent focus he would at a slower pace. Snap decisions kill, and from the looks of it, he's relying as much on luck as skill.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools