Topic

travel arrangements for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips travel arrangements for backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    brett smith

@bretts545

i'm from Ohio and planning a trip to backpack in Oregon. what i'm curious about is how i would go about traveling with my pack loaded. i might also be bringing my daypack so i can hit the coast and relax for a day/night on the beach and just get a hotel room and maybe hit up a couple small hikes on the coast.

So if i load my pack down can it possibly be a carry on? i wouldn't think so. but maybe?

the other things i'm wondering are food/liquids….can i have food stored already and my toiletries? i know there are some rules about bottled liquids but i'm no expert traveller as i've never even flown in a commerical jet. only a small prop plane.

thanks ahead for any help.

Brett

brett smith

@bretts545

didn't mention this either:

fuel…and my jetboil….can i really bring that on a plane? it seems like there is no way they'd let me fly with that

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

If you can fit the liquids in to the TSA specified size container(s), you can probably carry them. The stove will be ok, but not the fuel. Trekking poles are also generally not allowed in a carry-on. I just check mine rather than deal with potential hassle.

brett smith

@bretts545

So do you just buy fuel wherever you go to?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Yep

brett smith

@bretts545

thanks for your help

so i guess dried foods are fine to have in there?

L Miller

@lmiller

Locale: Maryland

Another option is to ship Fedex/UPS. If you ship ground, you can include fuels, etc.

If I have a short layover, I usually ship to the local UPS Store and just pick up my stuff when I arrive. With airline bag fees, this comes out about even. And I trust UPS to get my stuff there more than the airline to make a tight connection. The only drawback is that you have to have your stuff ready a week or so in advance to make sure it's there in time.

brett smith

@bretts545

So you ship your whole pack to the UPS store?

This is interesting because i was worried about them losing my pack….that'd ruin my whole trip

L Miller

@lmiller

Locale: Maryland

Most of it. I carry on clothes, sleeping bag, toiletries and maybe a few other things. The rest gets shipped.

But I only do this if I think there's a greater chance the airline will miss a connection than UPS losing the bag. If it's a direct flight, I'll just check it.

I've never had an issue with UPS and don't see it as any more risky than checking a bag.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I wish I had bookmarked the article I saw some months back that cited some statistics showing that UPS and the USPS lose packages more often than the airlines! Not, of course, that airlines don't lose things. I've never had a package lost by either, though, and luckily I've never had the airlines lose anything of mine, either. Do some redundant labeling both outside and inside of pack and tape them down securely. Include your destination in case the airline tag disappears. Note that delay of the luggage occurs far more often than actual loss.

If you can squeeze your pack into an overhead bin, you can carry it on–just make sure your little bottles of liquid are kept out in a quart freezer bag for the TSA check. However, you will have to check your trekking poles, knife and/or scissors and buy your fuel at your destination. Butane lighters, on the other hand, have to be carried on. I still haven't figured out the sense behind most of these TSA rules, but of course they didn't ask me!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools