Topic

Speaking at National Geographic HQ on March 14

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Speaking at National Geographic HQ on March 14

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I think it's reasonable to say that this is the most important presentation I've ever made.

Monday, March 14
    7:30PM
    National Geographic HQ, Washington DC

Details and tickets: http://events.nationalgeographic.com/events/speakers/2011/03/14/trekking-wild-north/

Please introduce yourself if you make it. Alan Dixon will be in the house too, as will Ron Bell from Mountain Laurel Designs.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Very cool. Will definitely try to make this! Thanks for the heads up.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I bought tickets weeks ago, can't wait.

Could you expand on what the format of the presentation is going to be? Also will there be opportunity for questions and any sort of meet and greet?

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I'll talk for about 50-60 minutes. It's a mix of slides and video clips, mostly the former. There'll be Q&A afterwards, 10-15 minutes, then a meet-and-greet in the lobby after that. They'll probably have me signing magazines too.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

That would be cool. We were talking about taking a trip to DC that week for spring break, but it turned out to be a little pricy. Too bad the mother-in-law doesn't still have houses up there. Anyway………..good luck. And like my wife always tells me, "don't screw up"!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you don't mind mounds of dog hair everywhere and blow up mattresses, you can stay with me.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Good luck, have fun!

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Oh man, I wish I could go…that sounds like it would be awesome!… but I am stoked to be going to Belize at that time. I would especially love to hear what you have to say since I am doing a trip in Alaska this summer. Cant wait to read the article.

Good luck! and I am jealous of everyone who gets to go!

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Wish I could be there. I was living in Virginia Beach for two years, and have been back in california since '09. Would have made the short drive up. Good luck with the presentation, knock it out of the park.

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

The presentation was amazing. Every second was interesting, informative, emotional, and motivating. I would have loved to see and hear more. They said the video of last nights presentation will be up on the national geographic website at some point for public viewing – so look out for that!

Was nice to see so many pictures of his MLD SoloMid and homemade stove make it into the mix.

Again, great job Andy and can't wait for your next adventure and will be there next time you are in the area for a speaking engagement.

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

I was up there just last week, couchsurfing and exploring the city! If only I had known this was coming up…

Glad to hear it went to swimmingly!

Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

Andrew,

Nice job on the presentation. The thing that really struck me is that there is remote and then there is REMOTE. I think you did a nice job of bringing that point home. I was also impressed by your planning process. I think that in itself could be a money making lecture/course at some point.

It was also very interesting to see the cross section of attendees as well. Very nice and very interesting people of all ages.

Good luck on your next adventure…

Bob Burke

Sean B
    Spectator

@seanba

Thanks for the great talk Andrew,

I found your risk aversion vs thrill seeking discussion great. You did a good job of explaining your pragmatic approach, especially when it came to navigation and logistics.

– Sean

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools