Topic

Cheaper Raft Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Cheaper Raft Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    . Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

"What is the right price? I like to hear what the right price point is."

The right price point is the one that the raft manufacturer attains!

sean neves
    Spectator

@seanneves

Locale: City of Salt

Hey that's an excellent modification you've done there! The "Bents basin" is the most substantial river that I have seen these toys in. A thought about mods (LOVE the self bailing mod!): install some "real" or "boston" valves for easy inflation and deflation. I will try this on my crappy pool toy and report!

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Sean,

Glad you like the mod. It is really really simple! I was also amazed at how much it improved the performance of the boat. I got in contact with flyweight to see if they are keen to make one, but unfortunately they don't have time now.

I reckon you could buy one of their basic or rugged boats and simply glue in the floor of one of $20 boats and then make it self bailing. It is certainly very easy to cut the floor out of the cheap boats, I have done it a couple of times to make pillows and so forth.

Also, for those of you who are keen, I have added the link to the raft heading down Bents Basin:

http://hiking26.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/packrafting-bents-basin-grade-2-3.html#!/2012/04/packrafting-bents-basin-grade-2-3.html

All the best,

Jeremy.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Feathercraft makes a self-bailing packraft but it's 10 lbs and more costly than a decked Alpacka. Sitting in water all day is not at all appealing to me either. Self-bailing big boats have you sitting on the thwart tubes and not the floor.

Nice work on the DIY though. Seems fine for the mild stuff.

sean neves
    Spectator

@seanneves

Locale: City of Salt

Hard to tell from the pics, but I am seeing some substantial drops on that little stretch of water. Looks like solid 3 or 3+ to me. One solution would be to raise your butt above the water with a small inflatable seat. That's what I do in one of my more wet duckies.

Amy Hatch

@jhpackraft

Just thought I'd throw this out there …

Through my company, Jackson Hole Packraft & Packraft Rentals Anywhere (www.jhpackraft.com), I rent packrafts throughout the Lower 48 and Canada. Cost starts at $40 per day with significant savings for multi-day rentals (a week, for example, is $200).

My process is simple. I Fed Ex you the Alpacka or Feathercraft packraft and you go on an adventure. When you're done, you put the boat back in the box, affix the return label I provide and drop it off at any Fed Ex location.

Questions? My name is Amy and my cell number is 907-830-1016. We just finished our third summer in business, so we have the process pretty dialed at this point.

Cheers!

I will allow this posting as it is very relevant to this thread – but don't push it. I may change my mind if needed.
    Vendors should NOT join in here: go to Gear Deals and offer a DEAL.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Momitor
    Backpacking Light

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools