Topic

Thread for sewing Cuben

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thread for sewing Cuben

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Has anyone experimented with different threads for sewing cuben? Anyone ever sourced dynema thread to try with it? I have been thinking of picking up some very thin braided fishing line(very stong and light). My samples will be here in a few days and I will start playing around with it. Any suggestions on the kind of needle I would need with it? I know it is probably the raw material itself that doesnt like to be sewn but maybe even oversized thread for a needle would help give it more strength?

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

Won't a fine thread put the mylar film (cuben weak point) under a stronger stress?

Cheers.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Well I could get any thickness needed. Possibly bring a needle in and get the thickest I could thread threw it. Dont know how a braid would hold up though? Maybe the fusion wire thats out there? This is what I needed though, just some help figureing out what I should waste a little money on to test. Never know until you try.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

what are you making? For my quilts i use thru-hiker thread and a size 60 needle. Can't remember for sure which size of thread i have but since it fits the 60 i think it is the thin stuff.

-Tim

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Well I will be making it out of sil first to work out the bugs but, I am making a tent/tarp/poncho deal. Similar to the X-Rocket but much lighter and a little different. This one will take me awhile but plan on having the sil one done by summer. Will work on the cuben one next winter. I am getting some cuben to make a backpack hybrid with some dynemaX I have. That will be done hopefully in the next month or so. Kids really slow my progress down but I wouldnt have it any other way.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I like a stretchy thread (nylon) to spread out the forces.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

David. Anything special? Played around with thickness of thread? I know you have alot of solid experience and are a manufacturer so can understand if you dont want to openly share.

Thanks for the info guys. Im narrowing down what I plan on testing

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

I'm not sure if it's the right content, but check out Hy-Mark thread. It's usually what I use to sew my ballet shoes and is pretty strong…

Here's a link to a supply (I'm sure one could find it at Jo-Anns or something as well…

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/thread_hymark.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools