Topic

Looking for easy Apex quilt instructions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for easy Apex quilt instructions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JASON FRITZ

@trrubicon06

Well, Thursday I'll be receiving my quilt supplies. The Insulation is 2 yards of 6oz Apex and 4 yards of .9oz breathable nylon(same as momentum 90). I'm wanting to basically mimic the KAQ quilts…so basically a rectangle shape with velcro and drawstring closure. I haven't exactly decided on a drawstring head.

My question is what would be a good design for this style? I'm 5'10", 150lbs, and wear a size 12 shoe. The Apex I'm receiving apparently is 77" wide and the nylon shell is 60" wide. I'm wondering if I went a bit short on the nylon.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

first off you gotta tell me where you got APEX! I can't find a good reliable source for climashield anywhere right now.

For 5'10" i recommend a minimum of 74" quilt with the drawcord style footbox, but you would be happier with 6". However if you do a sewn in round footbox you can use the whole 72" and it should give you the coverage you need. The process to make a quilt with a sewn in footbox is different but still not too hard. I'd think you'd be good with a quilt 48" wide at the top and 38"-42" at the foot(depending if you want it to fit close or loose). I like my quilts to be half tapered, but i am fat and need that extra belly coverage.

What every you choose cut your 3 layers to size and cut a circle for the footbox with the same circumference as you foot box width from all 3 materials. Then sew the footbox circle into the liner (inside piece of nylon) and sew up 12-20" (footbox length). DO the same for the shell (outside nylon) but when you sewit sew the insulation in at the same time. This will give you 2 pieces that have just been sewn at the foot area. Lay the shell and insulation on the floor/table, insulation down and lay the liner on top (right sides of nylon together). Slide the liner footbox into the shell footbox. all is left is to pin them together, add drawcord tube at head and any tabs for undercords (also will want to add a piece of nylon triangle above the footbox to take the stress of where the 2 sides meet. then sew it all together leaving 12-18" opening someplace like a side that will be easy to close from the outside. turn it right side out and close that hole and goto sleep.

-Tim

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Tim – OWF had some Apex in stock. I also called the Climashield rep and he advised that they are starting to release it to certain retailers. The 2oz sq yd has not been released as of yet

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43697&skip_to_post=371626#371626

JASON FRITZ

@trrubicon06

OWF has APEX…well had APEX. They got the roll in last week and most of it was already spoken for. I placed my order before they received it, so I got what I needed.

Well, the Apex is 77" long so I'm good there. If I cut my 4 yds 72"x50" for each side, that leaves me with a strip 12"x144" that I could sew around the top to make up the extra inches I'm missing. Would this work? This would allow me to use the 77" Apex length.

Crude drawing…quilt

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

that would work fine. If you have 2 colors you can even make it look like you did it on purpose.

-Tim

JASON FRITZ

@trrubicon06

Sweet! Thanks a bunch Tim. Hopefully my ideas will turn out well. I'll post up when finished.

JASON FRITZ

@trrubicon06

One more question please…

What is the best way to make the drawcord tubes on each end?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Jamie S. shows a great way in his M50 quilt how-to thread. I like his method for the foot as i prefer the cord locks on the ends there as it seals better(i do something different but his way works just as good and is easier). but i like the cordlock in the center at the head for easy adjustments. Once i have my materials cut and laid together i insert the drawcord tube between both layers of nylon (once turned inside out it will be on the outside). I hem the tube so the center is open with the cord and lock there and just sew it in. i don't mess with turning the tube at the ends as when you sew the sides it will get trapped in there and it works and looks great this way.

-Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools