Topic

Buying cuben makes the wallet much lighter….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Buying cuben makes the wallet much lighter….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

So I bought some cuben and some C3 Spinnaker tape to play around with and get some experience with taping cuben. I am amazed at the strength that the taped cuben has. It has a much stronger bond then I was expecting. So last night I had an itch to make something so I took some scraps of cuben and made myself a new wallet. I used 1.43 oz cuben and 1/2" C3 Spinnaker tape, so there was no sewing with this project. It weighs in at ~5 grams or .18oz on my kitchen scale, I will have to weight it at work Monday on a much more accurate scale. The 4 ones that are in the wallet weigh as much as the wallet its self. Now I can bring my wallet along on hiking trips instead of just stuffing some cash in a stuff sack. Here are some photos:Front Front 2 Top flat view

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice

You might want to put a blank line between each picture and it makes it easier to read

I can almost make out your credit card number and expiration date, would you mind also telling us what the security code is?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

And do you mind if I give them your driver's license number the next time I get a ticket?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Christopher,

Thanks for the info and humor (double meaning of lighter wallet). It's more fun to learn things when the presentation is entertaining too.

Is the black line where the tape is applied?

Where did you buy your cuben fabric and tape?

Daryl

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Great looking job! I was wondering what the black strip is? I'm going to have to get me some materials to play with while sitting around in between treks.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Dayrl, the olive cuben came from zpacks and I just got the black cuben from Cubic Tech, the 1/2" C3 Spinnaker Tape came from Sailrite.com

The black line is a strip of black cuben that I taped down. all the edges of the wallet are taped and folded so there is no raw edges.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools