Topic

Local, calorically dense, meal replacement bars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Local, calorically dense, meal replacement bars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I was just at one of our local gear shops, here in Asheville, NC, and noticed these new bars.

They are made locally, in Boone, NC, from whole ingredients, but what really impressed me was the caloric density. We chose a walnut dark chocolate cranberry to take on our hike today. It comes in at a very dense 140 cal/oz.

It's vacuum sealed, so even if the chocolate were to melt, it won't be messy, and a few minutes in some cold, flowing water should solidify it.

You can get them direct online at Parr Foods

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Chris,
    thanks for the heads-up on the bars. I went to their web page and they look intriguing. Got a mixed case, great cal/oz

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

They do look interesting and calorie dense, but I can't find any nutrition information on their website.

Since switching to the Paleo Diet, I don't eat wheat, peanuts, oats, or soy — Unfortunately those ingredients are listed in your label image. I'm wondering if they are in all of the bars…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Based on the variety I saw, none would meet your requirements. I do a paleo-like diet most of the time, but I follow more of an 80/20 rule. If I'm on the trail though, I'm burning calories at a high enough rate to where I can eat most anything without worrying about it.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

well yum!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools