Topic

Charlotte Area Hikers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Charlotte Area Hikers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Howdy. I just moved to Charlotte, NC. I'm hoping to start doing some trips in the spring once I've gotten settled in a bit more. I lived in Asheville a few years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with hikes in that general area – I figure I'll be going west for most of my trips. Anyway, if anyone has any trip recommendations I'd love to hear them. Also, it would be great to meet up with some folks for trips as well, or even just for a beer sometime. Always glad to meet new people in a new city. Thanks in advance for any info. Have a good one.

James S

@hikinnc

I'm new to Charlotte too (moved from CA, got here in September), me and my girlfriend are new to backpacking. We're not able to do much hiking at this point but perhaps we'll share a trail some day.

Thinking about checking out Crowder's mountain tomorrow, actually.

Welcome.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

James,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard about Crowder and definitely want to check it out. If you head out there it would be cool to get a report on the area. Do keep in touch about any trips and I'll do the same. Feel free to PM.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Nathan

I live about 45 minutes outside Charlotte. Some of the best local backpacking is Uwharrie national forest. However I do most of my backpacking trips in the mountains.

Brad Rogers a regular on this site runs a great Facebook page and does backpacking trips twice a month. the group is southern Appalachian backpacking light.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=228683055956

Brad

James S

@hikinnc

Headed there tomorrow morning.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Stop by and check out our facebook group (Thanks for the plug Brad!) We have quite a few people from Charlotte (many from the now defunct Charlotte Backpackers). If you particularly want a group from Charlotte, The Charlotte Burgs are an outdoor group that have some experienced backpackers.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I'm digging this thread back up after finding it on a search.

I'm in Charlotte too, and looking for some route advice for a 2 night trip in the Uwharries or Crowders/Kings. This will be my first trip after acquiring some UL gear, so I'd like to stay close to home. I'd like to avoid paying for campsites and hope to go 6-8 miles per day max.

If anyone in the area is into trail running, let me know. I've been running a 5k loop at Reedy Creek (closest park with trails).

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Tyler,

I would suggest Uwharrie. Park at trailhead off Hwy 24/27 after River Rd going away from Albemarle and toward Troy.

The trailhead is easy to find and seen from 24/27. The south terminus of the Uwharrie and Dutchman trail are at the trailhead. The forest road also goes several miles into the wilderness and both trails cross on several occasions. You also have a few mountain bike trails that connect these trails together.

Very easy to make several loops and change on the fly.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

brad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools