Topic

Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Air pad instead of foam in frameless pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Who here has used an inflatable pad instead of a foam pad in the back panel of your frameless pack? I've done this a few times now with a GG Gorilla and a Kookabay pad (almost totally deflated) and it worked pretty well. I haven't seen too many others using a similar configuration, just curious who has given it a shot and what do you think? Which pack / pad combinations have you used?

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I do it with neoair and golite ion.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I don't use your backpack, but:
    If you have room your could partially inflate the inflatable pad and experiment.
    I have tried that that and it either took up too much space or wasn't rigid enough.

I now use a 3/8 closed cell foam sit pad or two if I need to carry much weight over 15 or 20 lbs.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

I use a Big Agnes insulated Aircore for support in my Jam. I dont inflate it at all, just fold to the correst shape to fit the back panel. Its hekps but is far from perfect. I do sleep like a baby on that pad though.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

I use my inflatable pad folded inside my ULA Conduit

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I also use an inflatable pad (Montbell UL90) with my Conduit. Works very well. If my pack is less full, I leave the pad a little more inflated.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I know a fair number of people who like the general combo. Never tried it myself though.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

in my cilogear 40l. it works great and i can remove the frame sheet, but it takes up more internal space in the pack when compared to the foam bivy pad and frame sheet.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

This is good to know.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Fred said "I do it with neoair and golite ion"

<– so do I :) folded in half lengthways and then in thirds, w/ just a wee bit of air in it

Photobucket

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Seems like it's not that uncommon after all.

My observation has been the same as others, works ok for moderate loads, not so much for heavy loads… and takes up some more room vs. sit pad (etc…). The vertical rigidity of the air pad can actually be quite good with just a tiny bit of air in it (assuming baffles are oriented vertically).

I'm going to give it a try with a Jam pretty soon and see how it goes.

Steve Scarborough

@zehnmm

Locale: southern New Mexico

Partially inflated regular Neoair in my Conduit works for me.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

I was just wondering this myself, I recently picked up a neo air small and love it compared to the ole closed cell foam

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I believe ULA now has a pack that uses the Klymit air mattress as its frame.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools