Topic

packing a sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique packing a sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

the forecast for an upcoming trip is telling me it’s time for the 3 season down bag. it’s a Marmot Sawtooth and weighs an unmodest 3 pounds. previously i got burned by not having it in a waterproof stuff sack when the sky’s rained down, so i bought a waterproof compression stuff sack for it.

so lo and behold after i have been using the waterproof compression stuff sack, i read that it’s better to not use a compression bag in favor of a stuff sack that allows the sleeping bag to conform to the sleeping bag compartment of the pack.

when i use the compression stuff sack, the bag just fits into the pack and doesn’t leave room for anything else, like my sleeping pad or pillow. what route do you take when packing your bag?

-steve

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>what route do you take when packing your bag?

Down: compression stuff sack. Hasn’t seemed to hurt our down bags and quilt so far.

Synthetic: big stuff sack, or just shove it down into the pack liner. (I’m still trying to get my winter quilt to fit in my Mariposa Plus.) Compression bags slowly (or quickly) destroy the loft of synthetic insulation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools