Topic

Ohlone Wilderness Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Ohlone Wilderness Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I'm planning on doing the Ohlone Wilderness Trail, Del Valle to Mission Peak on 18-20 of march. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or anything information about this hike.

Much appreciated :)

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Help?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a lot of steep uphill and downhill from either direction, but you figured that out from the map.

–B.G.–

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've done it. What kind of information are you looking for? It's a nice east bay oak woodlands walk, largely on roads. Few places to camp. have you looked at bahiker.com?

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

No, i haven't looked into bahiker.com, but i will. I was just wondering what's up with water situation. and is it hard to reserve campsites along the trail??

Jack H.

@found

Vaguely, I remember camps that were waterless, but that there were some creeks and decent water sources so that I didn't have to carry too much water. I'd suspect that spring is a good time of year for water.

Not sure that I had a permit when I went. I don't remember it.

I'd think that spring is one of the more popular times to hike it, but that likely if you look now there would be spaces.

I've been out there multiple times, but the time I backpacked it, in November, I saw no other backpackers.

Jack H.

@found

http://www.bahiker.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=251 lots of info on bahiker.com What a great website!

I now remember carrying water from water faucets.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Thanks for the help and info.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

In the middle of winter, like right about now, is when we normally dayhike from Del Valle to Murietta Falls and back. That waterfall is the tallest in the Bay Area, but the trick is that it runs only for several days after a rain storm, and then it dries up. So, following rain storms well within a week should yield plenty of stream water for camping purposes. For wildflowers, I would hit it during the last half of March.

–B.G.–

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

sat sun will be epic mt diable waterfalls days.
    use the regency gate entrance to easily access the falls trail.
    road/trail, it will be muddy.

cheers,
    v.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

you can camp atop whatever peak the ohlone trail crosses. that's a nice place. great views of the lights in the valley, and much less used than the west end camps.
    it's always kind'a iffy leaving a vehicle at west end.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"whatever peak the ohlone trail crosses"

Rose Peak, for one.

Mission Peak is on the other end, but it is awfully busy with people.

–B.G.–

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

I have hiked this trail twice with scouts, three times with adult friends, day hiked Murietta Falls w/my wife and day hiked Rose Peak twice. Water is avalible at all three camp sites and at the backpacker sites in the park(you need to treat it). I have never had a problem getting water from the creeks: South Fork Indain Creek, North Fork Indain Creek, or Willaims Gulch. Hiking from Sunol to Del Valle is much easier. Stay at Maggie's Half Acre if your doing it in two days. Leaving you car at either end is safe. You need a reservation and you'll have to purchase a Wilderness Trail Permit($2.00 at the park)

Goat Rock

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I plan on doing it in three days, trying to get as much time out of the house as possible. I'm going from Del Valle to Stewards camp and Stewards camp to Sunol backpacking camp and from there to Standard Ave.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

Frank, The nice part about Stewards camp is you can spend time checking out Murietta Falls after setting up camp.Dawn at Doe camp

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

yeah, i was planning on checking the falls after setting up camp. Hopefully its flowing good.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools