Topic

Bivy? What bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy? What bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I'm in the market for a bivy but want to pick your brains for some input.

I'm looking for a lightweight or UL bivy that will be used with a tarp for three season use. Obviously I'll want something that is breathable but water resistant (not waterproof).

In the past I tried using an Equinox Bivy but the thing was just too small for me. I'm 6'-2" tall and 250 pounds (imagine a shaved bear that goes backpacking).

What bivy would you folks recommend I look into purchasing?

Thanks everyone!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

If I were you I'd grab one of the new cuben-bottom MLD Superlights, size large. You'd be happy as a, what's the expression?, as a . . . backpacker in a bivy.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Take a look at the TiGoat Raven, a larger-sized version of their Ptarmigan bivy (which I have and like a lot).

Now about that shaved bear image floating around my head . . . .

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Maybe a larger tarp, so that no bivy is needed?

Interesting post by Ron Moak on the PCT-L: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-February/046232.html
    Here's a quote: "…a larger tarp that provides better rain protection you can eliminate the need for the bivy. Three ounces of additional tarp weight can eliminate the need for an eight ounce bivy."

I'd love to see comments!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for all the replies!

As for getting a larger tarp . . . . well unless I want to go up to a very large tarp (at least 10×10) getting a larger tarp is't an option in my area. I rather liked sleeping in a bivy and am looking to find the right one, not get a larger tarp. ;)

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I too opt to skip the bivy in favor of a larger tarp. I dont know how sound an idea this is but that's what I'm doing for now. In my backyard my 8×10 tarp kept me dry in a pounding rain and I'm fairly confident with this setup now for all but wind driven snow. I dont have any condensation issues that come with the bivy and I have palatial space under my tarp. In really bad weather i could probably get a small tarp to make a door and still do without a bivy but I havent tested that. Any other folks doing this?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I used to do that but with the need for a ground sheet, guylines, stakes, and a complicated pitch I've found that that a smaller shaped tarp and bivy are lighter and better protects me from the rain.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using an 8 x 10 tarp for years as my primary shelter an liked it but for where I backpack (northern Minnesota) a tarp and bivy combination is the way to go. At least for me that is.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

superlight in large should do the trick, I'm 6' ~ 200# and the regular fits me fine (that's w/ a full length neoair and highloft bag), so a large should be just about perfect

my regular weighs 6.9 oz and that's w/ a full zip (very handy imo), the sil bottom is waterproof and the momentum top breathes very well, but still is very water resistant

I use mine w/ a small tarp and have been very satisfied w/ the bivy :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think you probably can't go wrong with a bivy from MLD, TiGoat, Katabatic or Oware, as long as the size is right. All make quality stuff.

My current favorite is the MLD superlight. Good elbow room and comes in large sizes. I know Katabatic has won some followers with its Bristlecone. They're also coming out with a larger bivy (for larger pads) in early April, so might wait for that.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

My Bristlecone takes a Downmat 7 and a winter bag/quilt. The larger Katabatic bivvys must be for really big folk?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Aaron said they were making one that would accommodate the large-size Neoairs and other pads of that width.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Ooo that sounds nice!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think right now I'm torn between an XL-MDL Superlight or a larger Katabatic.

Now I just have to tell the wife I want to buy one. Anyone got any advice on how to do that?

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

That's my trick with the wife. It doesn't really work, but what the heck?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I wonder if we could do a 'pay if forward' type thing. Someone calls another guys wife, explains how the husband really needs said gear and . . . ?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I wonder if we could do a 'pay if forward' type thing. Someone calls another guys wife, explains how the husband really needs said gear and . . . ?"

Great idea! I'm not married, but I'm happy to call EVERYONE'S wives and explain to them, in my own inimitable way, why their husbands need gear and they just need to accept it. More than happy to!

You, of course, will have to deal with the aftermath…..

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

PM sent to Douglas with my phone number! :P

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Sometimes we get orders with notes to email (to a work email) before shipping so they can beat the spouse to the mailbox…haha

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I don't care about beating my wife to the mailbox. I care about her beating me after seeing the online bank statement.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ron is leaving out the fact that you have to add back at least 2 ounces for a groundsheet. And, the lightweight bivies are around 6 ounces, so that cuts down any potential difference to 1 ounce.

The bivy
    1. adds warmth
    2. resists condensation
    3. protects sleeping bag from debris
    4. keeps out bugs

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ I think a lot of folks overlook that fact about bivies, they definitely add some warmth to your sleeping system and are a built in ground cloth, they also get rid of any pesty bugs

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

I've never used a bivy and so have no experience with one. Under an 8 x10 tarp I have trouble envisioning the need for one for weather protection. Do y'all really encounter circumstances where you benefit from the extra warmth and insect protection of a bivy at the same time?

I remain open to the possible utility of a bivy in combination with my poncho/tarp, which I use on shorter trips when major storm fronts are not anticipated. But I do like the extra living space provided by a 1.5 oz polycryo ground sheet. Stakes and cord are virtually the same with either tarp choice. If its warm enough for bugs I'll likely be in my hammock.

I guess I need to try one out and see for myself. Hard to say no to a new piece of gear…

geoff

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

"Do y'all really encounter circumstances where you benefit from the extra warmth and insect protection of a bivy at the same time?"

many, many nights in the Rockies :) biting bugs are often out pretty good early and by morning there is often a little ice in the water bottle

I'm certainly not advocating a bivy for larger tarps, I use a small tarp/poncho (5×8'), so it's really not a luxury item :) but I think there are clearly benefits to using a bivy

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

Ah, my experience in your neck of the woods is limited to fire camps and some spike camps with heavier sorts of gear…

geoff

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

"Ron is leaving out the fact that you have to add back at least 2 ounces for a groundsheet. And, the lightweight bivies are around 6 ounces, so that cuts down any potential difference to 1 ounce.

The bivy
    1. adds warmth
    2. resists condensation
    3. protects sleeping bag from debris
    4. keeps out bugs"

My groundsheet weighs around an ounce and a quarter, so "at least 2 ounces" is not entirely true in all cases.

A bivy may add a slight bit of warmth by cutting drafts, yes
    A bivy may resist condensation drips, but may be more likely to cause condensation inside it, which seems riskier to insulation integrity
    The argument could be made that the bivy itself may collect debris, and make it more likely to dirty your quilt/bag.
    If you already carry a headnet for bugs, the last could be a moot point as well.

In the end, it's different strokes for different folks. Both the big tarp/no bivy and small tarp/with bivy setups have merit, pros and cons abound for both.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Try tarp camping in the high deserts of the west and you will appreciate a bivy to keep
    blowing dust and cold out of your sleeping gear. In particular, a waterproof/breathable
    fabric will keep you dramatically warmer in high winds.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools