Topic

Heart Rate Monitor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heart Rate Monitor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I'd like to get a heart rate monitor watch to use for training runs. I envision using it to help me keep my heart rate in a certain zone, for example, have it beep if my heart rate goes below 150bpm or above 160bpm. But it seems like most watches do not constantly measure your HR, and you need to touch them to measure it, or they have a chest strap, and I'm not sure how those work.

Are there any models that continuously monitor and can offer that sort of alarm when HR changes? And of course, the less expensive the better.

Thanks,
    Will

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

finding something that is cheap and very accurate could be hard to find.

most of them use chest straps to measure heart rate. i use mine mostly for cycling so use a garmin one, polar makes some good ones as well.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch
    At Amazon $45.39

It will save Peak and Average. Otherwise, a very basic HRM.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I have a New Balance I got on SAC for $24 that works OK. Not sure if it will do the alarm or not, keeping my heart rate under 150 is not really my problem. I use mine more to slow down.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I just like to know that my heart rate is non-zero.

–B.G.–

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Aaron Reynolds

@reyn25

Locale: Minnesota

I used a Polar heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I really liked being able to monitor my heart rate and get into my tarket rate. I had to go on a beta blocker so heart rate monitors don't work — beta blockers supress heart rate. I now have to go off of perceived exertion. This method is much less precise — I really miss my monitor.

Take the plungs and get a monitor that has a chest strap so that you can get continuous readings. I don't think you'll regret it.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Thanks guys.

anyone have experience with the garmin forerunner watches/heart rate monitors?
    I'd rather spend $130 on a gps watch w/ HRM than $100 on just a HRM watch.

Mike, that zone training is exactly what I am looking for. The watch looks pretty good too, and a nice discount on amazon. Can you elaborate a bit more on this function? Does it allow you to set the range, or does it just have preset ones (with silly names like 'fat burning')? also, how audible is the alarm when you leave the zone?

Bob, I have a rare medical condition where I sometimes have a 'negative' heart rate. Outwardly it appears normal, but it is actually pumping in reverse, you can tell by the electric signals (which these watches monitor).

Thanks.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools